Knitting Community site Ravelry Bans support for Trump

Is there a place we can donate to support Ravelry?

1 Like

Yup. And people on RPG.net are thrilled to see Ravelry following in our footsteps! :slight_smile:

(Meme pic created by RPG.net user LizardBite)

12 Likes

The story’s making the rounds of the news outlets, but Jezebel’s coverage stands out for their amazing title:

OK, one box isn’t showing it:

ezgif-4-1e9cac383a60

12 Likes

We’ve reached a sad/odd point in history where the Dead Kennedys are more relevant than they were back in the 80’s when their albums were released.

7 Likes

https://www.ravelry.com/donate

Here is a link to their donation page.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of folks with general comments like “how bad could politics get on a knitting website?” It was getting bad, y’all.

Ravelry is more like a combination of a social network with a pattern library. The worst of it I saw was with the patterns/comments on patterns. Anyone can post a pattern, so there were a lot of anti-Trump and pro-Trump patterns. A lot of the abuse was from when the MAGAs would pile on in the pattern comments, and then attack and troll anyone who would stand up against them. There was also a fair amount of noise and fighting in the forums. Add in that the site is international, and the administrators felt that the Trump supports were making it a less safe place for everyone else.

It’s only been a few days, but it is impressive how effective their moderating has been. My (very soft, hand knit) hat’s off to them.

DE-PLATFORM HATE.

13 Likes

And in hilarious news, the mods at RPGNet are getting angry emails from people who demand they delete their Ravelry accounts. As far as the mods and admins there can tell, none of these people have ever been members of the site. This says a lot about the competence, intelligence, and honesty of the folks getting all bent out of shape over this on the internet…

7 Likes
14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.