Knitting Community site Ravelry Bans support for Trump

Super popular knitting community site Ravelry has banned the expression of support for trump or his administration explaining that equates with support for white supremacy.

Impressed – Knitters got balls. balls of yarn, I mean.

buzzfeed article here

29 Likes
4 Likes

Good for you, Ravelry! :yarn:

11 Likes

Unless you are showing off your poor taste at making a MAGA afghan then there is no need for pro any politician talk on a knitting bbs. You want to get into that go somewhere else.

10 Likes

Burkas or comfy throw blankets throw down of 2019.

4 Likes

Bravo Ravelry! I had read a while ago that trumptrolls were disrupting the forums, good on them for taking a stand.
(Member since 2013)

ETA any interest from the stitchers on the BBS on starting a Boing Boing group there?

9 Likes

If so, I’m in. I’m not working on anything at the moment, but I joined Ravelry last year (and now I’m glad I did!) I crochet, so I’ve browsed patterns there, but I haven’t done any groups or forums yet.

6 Likes

…who talks politics at a knitting group? I don’t know the politics of most people I work with. Ain’t my place to know. Ain’t their place to say.

3 Likes

They knitted in Paris.

10 Likes

It looks like this was partially inspired by RPGnet’s decision last year:

I hope this trend continues. As the 2020 election approaches, sites that aren’t about political debate need to start considering if they want to to be remembered as enabling fascists.

ETA: obligatory for these topics:

12 Likes

There’s a lot of butt hurt magats - who have never touched a skein of yarn in their life - feeling all victimized by Ravelry, and are getting ripped a new one by a bunch of blue-haired old lady* stitchers on teh tweeters! LULZ to be had!

*Okay, I know all stitchers aren’t old ladies, but I giggled at the idea of an army of grannies telling the trumptrolls off.
Full disclosure - I am old, my hair is sometimes blue, and I am bistitchual. :crazy_face:

14 Likes

Yes. I’m currently on a summer-in-the-Deep-South induced hiatus, but I have a few things on the needles.

4 Likes

I haven’t been very active on Ravelry beyond pattern browsing since the Obama years (…sigh…), and the limited number of forum topics I participated in regularly back then were already subject to some awful interactions. It’s an online social network, one centered around yarn-related crafts, but still a social network with all that goes with that. So, color me unsurprised that the pro-Trump, aspirational Fascists have done there what they do everywhere else.

5 Likes

Well, I only crochet, which disappointed my father. He told my mother, “I didn’t raise my daughter to be a hooker.”
crochet%20hook%20blue%20circle
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes
10 Likes

On RPGnet, overtly political discussion is siloed seperately from the forum’s core purpose (talking about elfgames) - is it the same on Ravelry?

2 Likes

I would say the same thing for any number of hobby or fandom sites / boards I’ve visited, but somehow there’s always people who find a stray thread they can cling to, bait people into saying something vaguely anti-Trump, and eagerly go off on a huge rant about how they’re being treated unfairly, that Trump supporters are discriminated against, etc. It’s amazing how excited they get about pretending to be insulted.

6 Likes

If these reddit posts on the subject are accurate, they aren’t siloed. Apparently there are MAGA knitting patterns (insert obvious joke here):

https://www.reddit.com/r/knitting/comments/c466ud/fyi_ravelry_has_banned_content_supporting_trump/erwo0u3/

https://www.reddit.com/r/knitting/comments/c466ud/fyi_ravelry_has_banned_content_supporting_trump/erwjukz/

3 Likes

The equivalent of that behaviour on RPGnet would be, I guess, running a play-by-post game of RaHoWa or some other terrible garbage. Though I suspect that wouldn’t have flown even before the ban on posts in support of Trump.

2 Likes

I’ve been a Ravelry member for do long that I can’t even remember my login info. :blush:

I’d seriously consider being more active there if BBS peeps had a group.

FTR - I’m tristichual, having picked ip tatting in the late 90’s. :wink: Crochet was learned at age 7, and knitting at age 9.

7 Likes