"Kraken" MAGA lawyer Sidney Powell pleads guilty to Georgia election subversion case, will testify against Trump

IANAL and all that, but one would presume that they already have that they need all tied up in recorded depositions and any documents she can provide. So at this point the writing would be on the wall, and hopefully they can use that to lean on all the other co-conspirators (except Drumpf, of course) to similarly flip.

7 Likes

It seems like lawyers breaking the law, particularly in cases like this of casting doubt on legal processes, should get more hefty punishments because they ABSOLUTELY know better, and have the expertise to manipulate systems. However, her being a lawyer probably makes her a particularly damaging witness, so maybe it all comes out in the wash.

15 Likes

Please, maybe avoid using Dave Chappelle memes; there are less transphobic alternatives available. :+1:

14 Likes

Not that it’s anywhere near sufficient punishment, but she’s already been sanctioned by a Federal court in 2021 for her legal shenanigans, and the penalties were mostly upheld in a recent appeal. In addition to the fine of $152k she has to complete 12 hours of continuing legal education classes.

9 Likes
5 Likes

It either needs to be a lot longer or a lot shorter.

Jim Carrey Stop Breaking The Law Asshole GIF by Jerology

17 Likes

In my professional experience with cities and states trying to roll out new or updated education credentialing and certification systems, people do NOT like being told they need additional education to qualify for a job they already have. I feel for many of them, but it’s definitely true that grifters and scammers hate it the most. I am hoping she has the special kind of arrogance to make this particular punishment maximally painful and humiliating.

6 Likes

ABC News reports that she will receive 12 months of probation for each count and a $6,000 fine.

Did someone lose three zeroes down the back of the sofa?

Oh well, she’s going to admit guilt which is a small thing and I imagine she is/will be disbarred from ever practicing again - is there any chance the legal fees will wipe her out?

4 Likes

“nasty”

3 Likes

Kraken on the Barbie!

6 Likes

The professionalism CLE is pretty much traffic school for Powell, and she’d probably treat it as a badge of honor if she’s not disbarred. What is really going to send her living under a bridge drinking Woolite is the Dominion suit, where the company is seeking $1.6 billion in damages, a number that doesn’t just apply to Fox. The suit has been fairly quiet as of late (docket below), but that is just because it is in discovery which generally happens without any significant court filings. I don’t think Dominion is going to let her off for $6,000; this is where the extra zeros come in.

ETA: Looks like she moved for a stay in the Dominion suit earlier this month due to her upcoming trial. This is standard when there are simultaneous civil and criminal suits on the same subjects. Anyways, now that she’s pled guilty there’s no reason for a stay and Dominion can take her deposition.

15 Likes

It’s also not going to be easy for her to make a living as an attorney now that she has a reputation as a terrible lawyer, an insurrectionist fraudster and someone who ultimately betrayed Donald Trump and her fellow MAGA freaks. Seriously, who’s gonna hire her now?

9 Likes

8 Likes

I guess this applies only to this case so prosecutors can’t be like “and we’d like to call our expert witness and truthteller to the stand”.
Wish we could somehow Liar Liar her so she physically can’t lie anymore.

Project 1

4 Likes

Why would they lower their standards?

3 Likes

Anybody who would hire Alina Habba as a criminal defense attorney would hire Powell.

6 Likes

You can make it as a MAGA lawyer if you’re grossly incompetent but only if you show undying fealty to the god-king. Powell just blew that.

8 Likes

Ah. Good point. I am just assuming these days the well is bottomless.

5 Likes

I have yet to see a photo of her in court that doesn’t look like she’s thinking “oh shit, oh fuck, what the hell did I do”

4 Likes

Not Dead Yet Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY News

Tom Hiddleston Reaction GIF

10 Likes