Krispy Kreme forbids student from reselling its donuts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/04/krispy-kreme-forbids-student-f.html

3 Likes

At one local university they sell samosas for a dollar each. It’s a fundraiser for variius clubs, they organize a table and buy the samosas in bulk. It’s apparently a constant, different groups doing it. A fundraiser, but a snack the students buy.

Last month a crackdown by health inspectors. The samosas are supposed to be refrigerated or kept warm. But nobody was using tongs or gloves to handle the samosas, they were kept in a used cardboard box, and handed to students on newsprint from student newspapers.

So the student union has stopped it until they issue rules for proper handling, and buy something to rent to clubs to keep the samosas warm.

6 Likes

The senior studying accounting at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul said he was told his sales created a liability for the North Carolina-based company.

A what the what now?

If anyone in Minnesota complains that they got a bad donut, Krispy Kreme can simply say that they don’t sell them in Minnesota.

18 Likes

Sounds like some entrepreneur in Minnesota needs to open up a donut shop…

6 Likes

I thought Krispy Kreme thrived on hype like this guy was providing.

6 Likes

Lol, Krispy Kreme has no legal power to bind the kid here, and I don’t get the impression that they think they do.

They can certainly forbid their location from selling a large volume of donuts to him from now on, but that’s very different from what this headline says.

20 Likes

I think I understand an argument why re-sellers can be bad (safety and contamination from transport is one), but I also think they’re idiots for not just hiring him.

Also, Krispy Kreme is kind of a garbage donut, so I don’t feel anyone who voluntarily paid more was victimised any more than people who are victimised by buying an over-priced one retail.

12 Likes

Um… doctrine of first sale?

16 Likes

Are they claiming copyright on the doughnuts?

3 Likes

270 mile old donuts? I’m good, thanks though. :slightly_frowning_face:

11 Likes

Indeed. Sounds like they should open a store in his neck of the woods.

I kind of like them. Not great quality, but better than the other national chains IMHO. After that drive though they’d be stale AF.

4 Likes

They need to DRM that shit.

12 Likes

Doughnut Rights Management?

37 Likes

Late stage capitalism at its finest.

5 Likes

“We like capitalism, so long as it works in our favor.”

• Krispy Kreme Executives
10 Likes

If Krispy Kreme insists that I do not own the donut post-sale or -consumption, I’d be happy to send the matter back to them once I have finished processing it.

17 Likes

We’ve got lots of quality donut shops here. There’s a reason Krispy Kreme left this market - most people here prefer a quality donut not the garbage they are selling.

13 Likes

Trader Joe’s had a similar issue when an enterprising Canadian began buying its USA products and reselling them in Canada at his own “Pirate Joe’s” outlet.

Obviously Trader Joe can’t assure safety & quality control. Besides, it’s a retailer not a wholesaler. So…have to go with Krispy Kreme on this one. (First sale doctrine)

2 Likes

Froggy Fresh feels those feels.

1 Like

Not Hot Now

2 Likes