New Krispy Creme in Ireland causes so much boisterous excitement, the shop had to shut down their drive-thru

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/04/a-krispy-creme-in-ireland-caus.html

1 Like

The entire Krispy Kreme situation really highlights why Ireland can’t have nice things

— Claire :speech_balloon: (@Claire_Crowley_) October 3, 2018

I.e. the things they like aren’t nice?

2 Likes

I’d understand if the product was good. But it isn’t. There’s a reason most of them (maybe all?) have closed in Minnesota.

3 Likes

They are pretty fucking good hot.

7 Likes

tumblr_n1ptndygTF1r8n7qlo1_500

(And before I get flamed mercilessly…yes, I know Ireland is not Britain)

10 Likes

Yogi%20B

7 Likes

I tink dat da Irish Diaspora willbee needing more fecking crullers, too.

I remember when the first one opened in San Diego around 2000, I believe Clairemont Mesa Blvd, a friend of mine, who was a part-time rent-a-cop, was sent to the Krispy Creme to maintain order due to people cutting in line and getting into fights.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree, sir or madam. Eating a fresh Krispy Kreme is like taking a bite out of the clouds in Heaven. A perfect simple pleasure.

I will concede that supermarket KKs need to go immediately into a landfill.

7 Likes

That reason is financial. Krispy Kreme is one of those companies that over expanded and financialized itself in the 90’s and 00’s. All built around a scummy franchise model. Almost all the Krispy Kreme’s world wide closed.

That said from what I understand outside their home region in the South East the stores are apparently only popular/busy for a brief period after opening, and the company has apparently been surviving on licensing deals and those supermarket doughnuts.

They are only good fresh, and preferably hot. The flag ship glazed doughnut is fucking disgusting if it sits for more than an hour.

Their other doughnuts are no better than Dunkin. Where the doughnuts are always stale. I’ve been eating Dunkin Doughnuts my entire life and I have never had one that was even close to fresh.

2 Likes

That’s like saying a McDonalds hamburger is good. Sure it may tickle some base animal needs but it’s not good.

2 Likes

You’d think Krispy Kreme won the World Cup.

1 Like

I won’t lie and say i wouldn’t enjoy a fresh donut but the quality is pretty subpar.

1 Like

I dunno, man. KK is like a unique beast. I am not saying I don’t like other donuts, but their fresh glazed… OMG…

2 Likes

I do like them but there’s some good local alternatives where i’m at… though painfully i’m trying to eat better ]: i’ve had to ignore people bringing fresh donuts to work and it sucks lol.

For once, I’m gonna have to agree with @Mister44.

A good Krispy Kreme is only good when you “Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin’s Day will shine upon the key-hole.”, i.e. when the HOT DONUTS sign is lit.
That 5-minute window is when the donuts practically melt in your mouth.

The original Krispy Kreme near 13th (441) and University at the University of Florida is proof to the phenomenon. It’s generally quiet, but when the sign lights up, people scramble.

4 Likes

What’s the alternative in Dublin? Communion wafers? Scones? /s

3 Likes

Guinness… duh.

3 Likes

Guinness

4 Likes

all doughnuts are good when they are fresh. come on, ireland, figure it out.

2 Likes