New Krispy Creme in Ireland causes so much boisterous excitement, the shop had to shut down their drive-thru

Here’s similar craziness in Tokyo in May 2007:
I saw this line first:

Then it was pointed out to me that that was only the last stage of the line, When we turned around there was the line to get into the line:

The wait was hours long. Everyone was buying multiple dozens. It was explained to me that people were buying them to bring as hostess gifts.

1 Like

Entirely agreed. Especially on Dunkin Donuts. Bleah. Further, I think cake doughnuts of all types should be outlawed.

In Krispy’s defense, they know all you say is true, which is why there’s a lighted sign in the window when fresh doughnuts are available.

In the northeast Atlanta metro area, I recommend Sarah Donuts, especially the delightful Sunflower Donut. Pro Tip: bring a friend to share.

People like what they like.

I must ask though, is there no garbage food that you nonetheless adore?

Dunkin Donuts are same blah no matter how “fresh” they are.

1 Like

I was only wondering the other week where all the fresh doughnut stalls in Dublin city centre had gone. Mind you thr places they were in were fairly dodgy.

Anyway, this is Blanch. They eat their young over there.

Plus: is Dublin now the Florida of Europe given the frequency of these stories?

perhaps. but i’d eat them anyway if the alternative was no doughnut at all.

One of my favorite things in the world is a pastry filled with custard (i think… last time i had one i was a kid). I don’t know if an equivalent exists in the English speaking world but i know it as a Bomba (literal translation is Bomb).

It’s like a donut but the dough is not quiiite the same, fairly close. It’s usually topped with either powdered sugar or chunky granules of sugar. I prefer the coarse sugar because of the texture. And it is filled with a creamy delicious custard

Edit: I have had custard filled donuts here in the US but i find the quality of the custard to be just… off. Too sugary and kinda more runny than i’d like, and the taste isn’t very rich.

4 Likes

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

But no seriously. Bad cake doughnuts are more common (even as cake doughnuts overall are less common) than bad risen doughnuts.

But a good cake doughnut is a thing of beauty.

My great grandmother used to make them by the hundreds stack them on broom handles to cool before eating. Fried in lard. Like its supposed to be.

Made them once. They’re a pain to do right.

But for packaged supermarket doughnuts. Entemann’s is the only good brand. And all their doughnuts are cake doughnuts. The chocolate frosted devils food are insane. And the trick is largely that they are glazed with regular sugar glaze before they are coated in chocolate. Which makes the cakey part insanely ■■■■■.

I am not allowed to buy them.

Theres a couple. Look like standard filled risen doughnuts. The most common custard filled one is the boston cream. Which is also frosted with chocolate on the top. But sugared “custard doughnuts” are a thing. They’re a variation of the “jelly doughnut” as the style is most often filled with Jelly in the us.

They’re big in the Ashkenazi Jewish community for hannuka and purim. Called sufganiyot. And in the Polish American community as Paczki. Both can be found in custard filled form.

Because its often a pastry cream. Which is a kind of custard with more milk and thickened with added starch.

Sometimes its straight up vanilla pudding rather than custard. So vanilla flavored dairy thickened with corn starch. No egg.

Pastry cream exists because its less rich than a straight custard. And I can dig on it even if I prefer the regular custard.

The pudding exists because its cheap and comes ready made. And it should go away.

You can also get Bomba here if you know where to look. Though I haven’t seen them in a long while.

3 Likes

Obviously folks like cake doughnuts, or they wouldn’t sell them. I just always find them … not sure the adjective, but even “good” ones leave a fatty film in my mouth. Recently, several boutique doughnut shops have popped up in Atlanta with mostly cake creations. I’ve tried a few, and most of them I can take a pass on.

However, I’d love to have tried one of your grandmother’s.

I used to like the Entenmann’s doughnuts with the little cinnamon rabbit pellets on top, but you can put cinnamon on almost anything, and I’ll eat it. I don’t think I’ve had one of those in decades now…

1 Like

Jinx, you owe me a Guinness, preferable in Dublin!

Last time I was in Tokyo I was in a hotel overlooking that plaza. It was entertaining to say the least to watch the fuckery there between the Krispy Kreme, Starbucks, and general crazy Shinjuku train station crowds.

Every time I see that meme, I get super curious about it and where and why that picture was taken. At this point it’s close to being promoted to my desktop wallpaper.

1 Like

I vaguely remember reading up on it some years back, if i have it correctly it’s actually a stock photo.

(looks it up)

Yeh, that’s totally what it was:

Origin

The original image comes from a stock photo found on Photos.com[2] titled “Young Man Drinking Beer At Outdoor Pub” (shown left). The first instance of the series surfaced on November 7th, 2011, when Redditor ikfotsur submitted an image macro titled “Lazy college senior”[3] with the caption “5 minutes late to class / skip entire day” (shown right).

Source

1 Like

Shhh… you tread on my dreams…

1 Like

2 Likes

IIRC that was in Moneygal. Which is now most famous for this:

Obama effectively has a memorial truck stop in a shit little Irish village.

2 Likes

Damn! Makes one think “What would they do for a Klondike Bar?”

I’ve had Krispy Creme, fresh off the cute little Rube Goldberg machine they keep in the back, even. It was a doughnut. It tasted like a doughnut. The awe-inspiring flavor orgasm I was promised failed to materialize. Is it genetic, like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people?

1 Like

He does! I’ve stopped there for that reason. It’s just… bizarre. It’s not that the village is that shitty, it’s the underused motorway and grey concrete services in the arsehole of nowhere that is shitty. I can’t remember the village as the road doesn’t go through it any more. But blink and you’d miss it.

It may be a shitty memorial to Obama but he was mobbed by adoring throngs when he was here in stark contrast to Bush. And even starker to Jaffa the Hut who had to be “invited” by himself causing a diplomatic incident and the planning involved how to keep him away from real people. Until they backtracked and discovered he was too busy.

Clinton could walk among crowds here too. Neither of the recent republicans could imagine doing thst.