Krispy Kreme forbids student from reselling its donuts

And yet, sorry we all know there are times and places where this stuff goes over board. Whether it’s feeding the homeless or a fundraiser or just a kid selling homemade whatever, it’s 99.9% totally just fine without food inspectors getting involved. If you’re buying sushi in Iowa out of a guy’s trunk, or eating the egg salad at a potluck picnic after it’s been out for 5 hours you’re an idiot. Some kid’s donuts? Whatever. People should be allowed to use their brains and we shouldn’t have to have our society built around the stupidest and most reckless.

1 Like

I’ve got some bad news about modern global capitalism

3 Likes

Sour cream, preferably.

A cold day-old donut sold out of the back of a car is better than no donut at all.

2 Likes

who are we kidding. bacteria can’t eat krispy kreme donuts. they don’t spoil or bio degrade. they just harden. that’s the secret they don’t want getting out. they keep tight control so they can secretly ship leftover to an offshore dumping site #donutgyre

2 Likes

If you don’t own the donut you bought, maybe people should return their poop to the Krispy Kreme stores?
It would be bad if you just flush someone else’s property in the toilet.

2 Likes

Krispy Kreme donuts are best when they’re warm and melt in your mouth. There’s a very brief moment of time before humans should switch to a proper cake donut. There’s a place here in town called Monuts that makes a cinnamon apple cider donut that is just the bomb. I gave one to my dad, who has some perspective on donuts after almost 80 years, and he said it’s the best one he ever had.

2 Likes

I was thinking that, too. Everyone knows that Krispy Kremes are really only truly worthwhile when fresh and hot… otherwise you might as well get any mediocre donut from 7-11 or whatever they have in Minnesota.

Update: Krispy Kreme has relented after all the press.

7 Likes

That’s the ideal. That’s why they have the neon sign out front. But the people who bought his day old 4-hour driven donuts were willing to pay double for the less than ideal, or we wouldn’t even be discussing this. That part of Minnesota must be a donut desert.

1 Like

First sale doctrine applies here. He’s not representing himself as part of Krispy Kreme so he can sell whatever he likes. I’m getting tired of these corporate feudalists thinking property rights extend beyond the legal bounds as prescribed.

2 Likes

I said something similar about Uber Eats once. After companies discovered people really prioritize convenience over safety, all bets were off. If there are complaints, usually customers blame the restaurant. You couldn’t pay me to use a service like that to handle my food, but most people just don’t care (until something bad happens).

That’s really the key. A “donut desert” is wherever you are and donuts aren’t. You probably wouldn’t walk 10 blocks for a donut, but you would cross the street. That’s why this guy ought to have a donut truck. He’s uncovered the opportunity, now he needs to execute it properly instead of the weird nonsense he was doing before. If not Krispy Kreme, I’m sure there are plenty of other options. Of course there’s no way for us to know if there’s another source for donuts inside Minnesota, but probably he could get wholesale pricing on pastries from a local bakery.

From the sound of things, even if there’s no shortage of local bakeries, this is the old “filling the desire for things you can’t have” gig. KK donuts are pretty mediocre, but their scarcity makes them desirable enough for a 540-mile round trip and huge markups. If somebody could figure out a way to ship semi-fresh In-N-Out burgers to NYC or Boston, they’d make a mint.

1 Like

Just for clarification, this is cake vs. yeast doughnut referring to the type of flour used, right?

No, really it isn’t. Some consumers are just really really dumb.

Sort of? but there’s more to it. You know how some donuts are mostly air and compress really easily, and some donuts are more dense? That’s yeast vs cake.

2 Likes

Not dumb. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

It’s kind of like spending 8$ for a single sleeve of girl scout cookies. I don’t know why I am such a sucker for Samoas.

1 Like

That is true, however the choice is not cold day-old Krispy Kreme from the back of the car or no donut.

The choice is the cold day-old Krispy Kreme from the back of the car or locally sourced (maybe free-range!) donuts maybe from supermarkets or local chains, but still not generally stale.

Although I’ll note I went to Psycho Donuts in San Jose with great excitement and ended up with six different exotically flavored donuts, all stale (several with soggy toppings). Unimpressed. I would have been better off with stale Krispy Kreme not because they would have tasted better (they would both be lame), but Krispy Kreme would have cost much less for the same disappointment.

(Psycho Donuts has generally good reviews, so I may have gotten unlucky, but I’m unwilling to give them another try after that level of disappointment)

1 Like

They’ve guaranteed that if I’m ever in Iowa I’ll cease and desist in buying any Krispy Kremes there. Congratulations!

Also:

2 Likes

I always thought the secret was that krispy kreme is people.

1 Like