Krull for the Atari 2600

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/23/krull-for-the-atari-2600.html

My first impulse is to say I remember seeing the box at Toys R Us, but never played the game.

My next thought is that maybe the game never existed, and I’m falling for a photo-shopped internet hoax.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure I played a coin-op arcade game that was themed on the movie Krull.

I’m also pretty sure I was disappointed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Huh - pretty good graphics for the Atari 2600.

I wonder how much better the Intellivision would have made it look.

4 Likes

I played this back in the day and I remember the spiders were annoying. I did like the game.

2 Likes

I remember playing the stand up arcade version in HS and enjoyed it.
But agreed, the spiders were a PITA.
Don’t think I ever saw the Atari version. With that controller, it couldn’t have been easy.

4 Likes

They didn’t put a lot of effort into making sure the glaive throw in the movie looked good, did they?

Does it work with the Power Glaive?

6 Likes
3 Likes

4 Likes

i was an atari FIEND back then, and i have no memory of this game either. i’m going to add it to my ever-growing pile of evidence that we have slipped into an alternate universe around the time of the last World Series.

2 Likes

Now I know I have messed up our move last week. I have yet to unpack the old consoles! I’ll have to check if my brother or I got our copy of Krull.

It’s quite different from the arcade version.

2 Likes

You brought this up because of this:

2 Likes

There are no internet hoaxes. It’s all real: https://www.humanclock.com/atariserver.php

Mine first thought was, “Cool! I have that cartridge on a shelf above my TV right now.”

1 Like

You know what? I would really like to see a Krull remake.

Seriously- Instead of taking beloved classics and making shitty new versions, doesn’t it make more sense to take movies that weren’t particularly great but had some really cool concepts, and make really good versions?

5 Likes

I remember being disappointed with that game.

Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I had a copy of it, and remember the gameplay being slightly better than E.T., because you could throw that crazy star blade weapon at things.