Kushner helped clinch $110 Billion Saudi Arabia arms deal with Lockheed before Trump's visit to kingdom

What upsets me is when people equate Jews in general with the present Israeli government - exactly as if someone told me that, being English, I obviously hated the EU.

The other day when talking to someone who, until then, I had thought to be quite intelligent. We were talking about Syrian refugees and I mentioned that I was contributing to a Liberal synagogue in London who are restoring an apartment to house a refugee family. The person said “Well, why don’t you tell them to do something about their treatment of the Palestinians?”

I was appalled and the conversation became somewhat frosty, but then I remembered that some Zionists have tried to equate all Jews with support for Israel in the public mind. Be careful of what you wish for.

3 Likes

“only” out of 1 before I posted. Lots has been made by both the pro and anti Trump crowds regarding the fact that Kushner is a Jew.

Note also, that being a Jew and religion are not automatically linked. Even non religious Jews get tarred with the same brush. Later in your post you seem to realize this.

As it is said “When the Holy One, Blessed Be He, was handing out stupid to the Nations, He was equally generous to all”.

Doesnt work that way. A person with an Israeli passport may not enter Saudi Arabia and sometimes a person with an Israeli stamp in their passport may get refused entry.

Religious items for any religion other than Islam are forbidden at customs. Someone with a suitcase full of Christian Bibles might get denied entry as it would look like their purpose was to missionize and that is illegal. OTOH I have known Jews who have been to Saudi Arabia with their prayer books and tefillin in their carryon bags who received no hassle from Customs at all.

In any case this occurred in the US not in Saudi Arabia:

Jared Kushner, welcomed a high-level delegation of Saudis to a gilded reception room next door to the White House

I’m sure you got upvotes just for that but being rich isnt a sin in Islam or Judaism. Both faiths merely places more obligation to do charitable works upon the wealthy.

Just joking, right?

That was really my point. But logic must never get in the way of scare mongering!

Sadly many American Jews do that same thing.

1 Like

A Jew making fun of a Jew? Nah. He picked up the phone, in front of the Saudis, and got Hewson to consider a discount. I’d call that chutzpah, or play-acting, or just straight-up bullshit. Anyway you slice it, Kushner is a POS, whether he’s trading in his father-in-law’s current job to the Chinese to invest in his companies in exchange for EB-5 visas at $500,000 a pop, or lying about his Russian connections, he’s a Trump through and through.

How do you parse the paragraph below:

4 Likes

Yeah, my bad. I have actually argued this same point with people: not all Jews worldwide support Israeli policy, and not even all Israelis support their government’s policy.

I think my real error was just assuming that the Saudis, being as dictatorial and religiously strict as they are, would simply ban all Jews from entry.

1 Like

Nah, the Saudis always had a highly developed knack for business. Being a commercial people goes back umpteen generations.

bargain
verb [no object]
negotiate the terms and conditions of a transaction: he bargained with the city council to rent the stadium | (as noun bargaining) : many statutes are passed by political bargaining.

• [with object] (bargain something away) part with something after negotiation but get little or nothing in return: his determination not to bargain away any of the province’s existing economic powers.

It is one of those odd things that people of all nations do in the case of purchases large and small.

$360B in military sales. War IS good business. I wonder how the Yemeni and Israeli governments feel about this “bargain.”

1 Like

What America’s new arms deal with Saudi Arabia says about the Trump administration

1 Like

The Yemeni govt (whats left of it) doesnt want and cant deal with the Houthi militias

The Israeli govt probably just said “yeah, OK then…”

Of course thats pure speculation on my part.

Is the shrill tone italics of that Vox article supposed to change my mind?

I doubt anything would change your mind.

2 Likes

WTF?

" Inaugurating The Global Center for Combatting Extremist Ideology in Riyadh."

Uhhhh, OK.

I’m sure we can think of more appropriate captions.

et tu Jared?

1 Like

Like, “Where is President Trump’s other hand?”

The last time I saw someone’s eyes bug out like that, there was a goose right behind her.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.