Kyrsten Sinema wins Arizona Senate. Now Dems have 47 seats to GOP's 51

By his own admission, Trump made Jeff Flake retire, and now his seat has gone to a Democrat. Thanks, Trump.

14 Likes

Arizona and Texas both showing purple potential which should grow more blue with time. In 2020 Republicans will need to invest time and resources to defend what were always deep deep red states. We need to stay on top of this, and press voter empowerment and registration, but DAMN this is looking like the disembowelment of the republican party in the next go round. Roll blue tide!

9 Likes

My best friend moved to Arizona last year and got her boyfriend to vote for the first time. I’ve decided to hold her personally responsible for this victory, despite overwhelming evidence that the world doesn’t revolve around my life.

*Dons party hat.*

18 Likes

Which is no reason to not hammer that nasty woman about calling Sinema a traitor in the debate.

5 Likes

I’m afraid I didn’t follow the Arizona Senate race as closely as some of the others. I’m just happy to have another check on Republican fascism.

While I won’t count my chickens before they’re hatched, it’s a good feeling to have a little hope to go with my resolve again.

6 Likes

My mother in law moved here last year, so I’m crediting my son.

But in reality, congratulations and endless praise for the people who worked so hard to get the vote out and fight voter suppression. Almost every victory last week belongs to them.

11 Likes

And continued into the general. Her atrocious behavior and scummy, utterly dishonest ads mean she doesn’t deserve to hop back on the (dishonest anyway) “moderate Republican” bandwagon. She should be made to stew in her shat-up bed.

Yeah, so, alas she won’t be held to account.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/mcsallys-ace-in-the-hole

3 Likes

I don’t want to dampen enthusiasm too much, but she is not a progressive. She has aggressively marketed herself as “moderate” and “independent”, ready to reach across the aisle, etc. (HORRK). She refused to have the word “Democrat” anywhere on her website.

Whether that makes her a mild blue dog or a Manchin remains to be seen, but I am old enough to appreciate, finally, how much better that is than the alternative, and however disappointing she turns out to be, it’s a step in the right direction for once.

11 Likes

Oddly, McSally was the one who flipped my district to give the Republicans a congressional majority for the first time, which they’ve now lost again.

6 Likes

In fairness, I take umbrage when I’m called a Democrat too, though perhaps not for the same reasons. When someone asks if I’m a Democrat, I reply no, I’m not a conservative. But I’ll gladly vote for Democrats against Republicans.

13 Likes

Related: I’ve heard a few mainstream pundits recently banging on about how most independents “aren’t really independents” because they usually vote for one party or the other. The pollsters call them “leaners”; independent leaning Dem, for example.

The pundits were framing this as “those are just Democrats who don’t want to admit it”. Nowhere is there recognition of the point that a large bloc of voters exists to the left of the Democratic Party.

10 Likes

Mercifully, every actual statistical piece of evidence suggests that those guys are a much smaller fraction of their generation than the ditto-heads were of ours.

7 Likes

Wikipedia says she began her political career as a Green Party activist. I hope she still has some green on her.

4 Likes

maybe the republicans can wax on about how 3rd party voters killed their candidate - they’ll have to blame someone, maybe they’ll try Green Green.

4 Likes

This trend will certainly accelerate after Donnie’s performance on Veterans Day.

7 Likes

At least she wasn’t Kelli Ward.

You’re in the district, so obviously have a better sense of her than we do. From the outside she seems pretty much a drop-in replacement for McCain, perhaps more hardline on anti-choice. If we can replace Flake with someone a twidge to his left with a “D” on here name, and McCain with an ideological clone (with less of a national platform), to me this seems like progress. Not major progress, just baby steps, but progress.

4 Likes

At this point, you need to vote Democrat just to conserve the quality of life gains that our parent’s generation bequeathed to us. So yeah, you’re a conservative. Keep on conserving!

2 Likes

Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure they’ll be a followup Trump tweet imputing corruption on the part of Sinema. After all, how could Sinema possibly have won honestly: the initial voting showed her GOP opponent being ahead. It must have been a fix.

3 Likes

“I retired him”? Trump does sound like a Mafia Don.

5 Likes

But it was raaaaaaaaining!

5 Likes