L.A. morning show host surprised that a K-pop star from Vancouver speaks English

Yeah, I feel like this has been adequately answered by experiment, as well, but maybe it isn’t as intuitive as I think.

1 Like

2 Likes

When you say “who knows where the morning show host came from”; are you thinking a recent transplant to LA; or the possibility that morning show hosts are all the clonal products of budding from their ur-organism and do use a combination of genetically encoded communication and phenotype baselines, modified by plasmids transmitted within their broadcast market for local optimization?

3 Likes

chwee expect canadians to speak english with an OUTRAGEOUS french accent !!! or , possibly , with a bob and doug mckensie dialect , eh ??

Hey Potawatomi is on the list. Make sense, they were from the Great Lakes area, and while most were… migrated :confused: south to Kansas and Oklahoma, some must have move up north.

maybe she assumed she’d only speak french :wink:

1 Like

I mean he’s from Canada, what is he supposed to speak, moose?

Français évidemment

Don’t you mean Castilian? :wink:

1 Like

What a shitty, ignorant TV host.

3 Likes

Is that the etomolgy of the word ‘allophone’? I’ve always understood it to just mean ‘not francophone or anglophone’. Never thought about where it came from. Kinda funny.

Correct, i do have a canned thing i like to do on occasion of:

Technically, there is no Spanish language. What we speak is Castilian. Spanish implies that’s the language Spain speaks, which is untrue as there are a variety of official/native tongues spoken there.

Additional note: Growing up in Venezuela our Lit class was labeled Castilian, not Spanish Class.

3 Likes

Sorry - my mistake

Hope that wasn’t all you got out of the response.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be a bit silly for anyone outside of Spain going around saying ‘I speak Castilian’.

On a practical level totally. I think everyone knows what one means by Spanish, there’s no confusion about it but i like to drop the Castilian thing on people on occasion for my own amusement lol.

4 Likes

I just happened to be reading this https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversia_por_el_nombre_del_español_o_castellano

I was reading something similar last week lol :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, “Castellano” is the standard name for the language in large parts of South America and some of the Iberian peninsula. It makes sense for people who are Spanish but also speak, say, Catalan, to want to distinguish Castilian from Spanish, but I don’t know the history in the Americas. Maybe people didn’t want to be associated with Spain during the Franco era, or it could be an older Bolivarian thing?

3 Likes

Well, I was thinking the former, but now that you bring it up…

There’s been a tradition in Kpop with scouting talent from other countries. My current favorite is BLACKPINK. Their members are from Australia, New Zealand, Thailand and Korea, and they are fantastic. Seriously, go look them up. They’re like TLC with EDM beats.

But I don’t really begrudge this LA morning show host. The term Kpop makes you automatically assume that they’re all going to be Korean nationals if you’re not familiar with the the genre.