L.A. morning show host surprised that a K-pop star from Vancouver speaks English

That’s what I thought. And I would have defended that reasonable assumption. It’s a K-pop band, and according to its website, that Canadian member of the band graduated from a music school in Seoul, so I would assume he lives there now.

But the confusing thing is that in the clip, the host first confirms that he’s from Vancouver, and then compliments him on his English. So at the very least, she’s a bit slow on the uptake.

I don’t know for certain but in the Bolivarian context it makes sense i suppose. Being Venezuelan and it being called Castilian (in school) i can definitely connect the dots on the anti-Spain thing, though having grown up there i can say that in modern setting Venezuelans are comfortable saying they speak Spanish and have no ill will against Spaniards (besides their goofy accent).

2 Likes

I just learned about the Spanish/Castilian thing this year. I had no idea. I didn’t realize that Castilian was used in the Americas. I thought it was just a European thing.

“Allo, Allo” ?
Within which the mangling of the French language by Brit accents is well mocked

1 Like

Actually its a line from one of the most beloved Quebecois standup comedian Yvon Deschamps (who has been happily married with an Anglo-Canadian pop singer btw) where he makes fun of the sociolinguistics of Quebec and Canada. The real etymology is rather from Greek allo, ‘other’, similar as allosaurus ‘other lizard’. The guy made fun of everything while making us think about ourselves and our prejudices. Too bad his standup is unavailable in English, I subtitled him a few times and i almost got depressed failing to capture the humour.

1 Like

Not that I actually have the data to prove it, but I thought that all morning show hosts were clueless dolts.

1 Like

Cool! I’ll have to check it out.

By pure coincidence the below announcement showed up on my computer a short while ago; which suggests that at least some cases of referring to ‘Castillian’ seem to be distinguishing between different Spanish language variants.

I found the implied notion that there is a ‘Latin American Spanish’ worth targeting with a localization surprising.

There’s a lot of ‘Latin America’, by no means especially homogeneous or historically unified; so if Spanish has drifted enough to call for additional localizations I would have expected substantially more than just one.

For Latin America there’s a good amount of variation in the Spanish that’s spoken. Thankfully a big portion of it is the same but the words that are different are very different. It’s especially confusing when the same word is entirely unrelated and has different meanings in different countries, it can be awkward when you try to say something totally normal in your country’s lingo and you end up (accidentally) telling someone you’re horny or you ask them how their dick is doing. And yes, those are legitimate things i’ve done.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t catch that. Yeah, that changes everything.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.