LA man’s carbon-neutral reign of terror may have come to end

I thought it was pick up trucks? I have personal proof.

5 Likes

As a recovering BMW driver, I can attest to that! :smiley:

14 Likes

A Tesla lacks an exhaust pipe into which to stuff a raw potato, so I guess this dolt felt he had no choice but to smash rocks against exteriors. Sad.

2 Likes

Teslas are pretty durable

2 Likes

I would NEVER advise someone on how to best damage someone else’s personal property. That would be immoral. And also dumb, because Teslas have all sorts of exterior cameras that could capture you going all ham on those 6 figure MAGA hats. Now, if you had some sort of ranged attack that would keep you out of camera sightlines, well, then you’d have something.

Also, I think a number of hackers have successfully p0wned Teslas and other similar ‘very online’ vehicles.

But, again, all of these are very bad ideas, and you shouldn’t pursue them, because they are bad.

Clear? ok then.

10 Likes

Teslas are easily distracted by placing a small child in the vicinity. Self driving AI will chase the child while you escape to plan your revenge.

Allegedly.

21 Likes

There is a rival group who drive Audis, but Tesla is the new challenger and has a cult of personality which Audi and BMW haven’t had since 1945.

Patience and persuading EM to talk about the stock market?

19 Likes

Sounds like self driving AI is libertarian.

6 Likes

See the Cop just keep driving right along in the number one lane while this gentleman almost gets run over while swinging a machete?

Prison may settle him down.

1 Like

No, they were not calling YOU a dick. They were expressing a lack of a surprise that a Tesla driver would turn out to be a dick.

Did you used to own a BMW?

10 Likes

Cop was probably too busy looking at his cellphone…

3 Likes
5 Likes

I’m amazed as well it took this long to track him down. His face is clearly visible in multiple dashcam vids. As big as LA is, there can’t be that many black Tesla Model X’s registered. Just go through all the registrations and pull drivers license photos for the owners.

5 Likes

You can’t throw a rock without hitting a black Tesla Model X in LA! They are everywhere.

4 Likes

As I understand it, the issue is that there were no plates, which is apparently a thing in CA with a newly purchased vehicle. Steve Jobs famously exploited this for years by always buying a new Benz within the grace period. If someone had managed to get the VIN or registration sticker, they’d have something, but otherwise he’s just a white dude with short hair driving a Tesla in LA. Fortunately (but unfortunately for his victims), there is a predictable legal paper trail, so they were probably able to face match and make some connections.

6 Likes

To quote Chandler, you gotta clench your jaw to keep from choking on 'em in West LA.

2 Likes

I kind of miss driving my Volvo, when it just felt like everyone assumed I was a boring person. Will be happy to get rid of my Tesla when it’s time.

3 Likes

It may be confirmation bias but, for me, Audi drivers have far surpassed BMW drivers for sheer dumb fuck arseholery. I’ve lost count of the number of them cutting me off, pushing in or getting right up behind me on a dual carriageway because i’m in their god damn way and they need to be somewhere.

4 Likes

Honestly, having lived in LA for 20 years, this doesn’t surprise me at all. Nobody gets pulled over for missing plates. Half the cars on the 405 have no plates. It’s not something that is enforced.

As for catching him in the act, that wasn’t likely. The ratio of drivers to CHP on LA freeways is absolutely enormous. Everybody speeds because there’s pretty close to zero chance of getting pulled over for it. When there’s one fisherman on the whole lake and you’re one of millions of fish, you don’t worry about getting hooked. In fact you forget that fishing rods exist entirely because it just never comes up.

Of course, this is all from a white privilege position. I’m sure Angelinos of colour have a very very different perspective on the CHP. Take what I’ve said above with appropriate salt.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, that I absolutely wouldn’t expect (unless he, against the odds, did this to an off-duty cop). I’d slightly more expect him to get shot doing this, but I suspect, at least on some level, he chose his victims with that in mind.

That seems crazy to me. I’d think it would be something the cops would be eager to enforce, as a low-hanging fruit to get their stats up, if nothing else. I suppose this is part of the under-policing of white Angelinos because all the police effort is going towards wildly over-policing people of color.

5 Likes