Labour's Keir Starmer is the UK's new Prime Minister

Same. I’d never seen an oxyrhynchus called Medjed before.

I’ve long loved the sheet ghost-esque Medjed, and the funky fish, too.

Oh, and Per-Medjed means House of Medjed.

4 Likes

By the way, there was an exhibition about manga at the British Museum some years ago which included a display explaining how Medjed came to be big in Japan.

3 Likes

It’s so cool how they sort of adopted him. XD

thatlittleegyptologist

I need more Medjed in my life. They’re just a funky lil guy who looks like a ghost with legs.

thatlittleegyptologist

I was not joking

onewiththepun

Source

hymeko

The Obscure Egyptian God Medjed and His Bizarre Afterlife on the Japanese Internet

Source: ANN

dwellerinthelibrary

omfg, WHAT.

romologist

emthehistorygirl ARE YOU SEEING THIS

emthehistorygirl

this has confused me a great deal

eastiseverywhere

From ANN:

The Book of the Dead is an ancient Egyptian text describing the passage of departed souls into the afterlife and listing the spells they must recite to proceed through Duat (the Realm of the Dead). In Spell 17, the god Medjed is mentioned: “I know the name of that Smiter among them, who belongs to the House of Osiris, who shoots with his eye, yet is unseen.” He is not referred to in any other context.

Medjed remained buried in obscurity until 2012, when the British Museum held an exhibit on ancient Egypt at the Mori Arts Center Gallery in Tokyo. Visitors were surprised by the god due to his unusual appearance and a certain similarity to the character Obake no Q-Taro (seen below).

Japanese netizens quickly found Medjed to be cute, and began creating fan art of him.

By 2013, Medjed had become a full-fledged meme, and took on a life of his own, as memes often do. His fearsome role as Osiris’s guardian (he is said to be able to fly and eats human hearts) and cute, simple appearance allow for a versatile range of depictions. He is even called “the oldestyuru-chara” (regional mascots like Funassyi and Kumamon).

matsurishirabe

In reference to the picture of Medjed with Osiris (fifth picture): This is from Puzzle and Dragons! Medjed actually got his own card later on:

And here’s a link to the boss battle with him if you’re interested!

Okay. I’ll shut up now.

11 Likes

11 Likes

The biggest word he knows at the moment is “Unemployed!”

7 Likes

You can’t be unemployed when you’re independently wealthy. You’re a gentleman of leisure.

14 Likes

The way we do voter registration here in Canada works pretty well. There’s an opt-in checkbox on your yearly tax filing form to share your relevant information with Elections Canada. You only need to manually register if you don’t opt in or have moved since your last tax filing.

Manual registration is pretty straightforward though and you can register at the polls day of if you need to, although you’ll have to sus out where your designated voting location is since you won’t have a voting card telling you where to go.

3 Likes

The grandiosity seems on-brand for Kwarteng. Not only will the tories return like a god; they’ll return like a god that was actually functional and popular within the pantheon and only got taken down by the machinations of evil-aligned aspects of it. And I think we all remember the part of the story where Liz Truss successfully led an Accenture team directing Capgemini and Capita to find 26 pieces of something and reassemble them…

5 Likes

Gerrymandering isn’t needed. It DOES exist in Northern Ireland (or it did when I was there - I left in 1973 - I’d be surprised if they sorted that out). The “first past the post” system leaves a lot to be desired. Mostly, it leaves minority representation in the wilderness.

7 Likes

Here’s an interesting snippet of information about the allegedly left-wing Prime Minister.

7 Likes

Regarding the voter ID fuckery, I wonder if a petition to remove it would get any play now the new government is in power…

4 Likes

I know that it’s futile to count on what a politician says before the election, but Labour were saying that they would lower the voting age and were considering automatic voter registration

They’re already pushing for this in Wales, where they’re in control of the Senedd.

Another thing that they could do to reverse the Tory attempts to skew the voting system are to return to drawing seats on the basis of population, rather than registered voters (a sneaky change that the Tories pushed for).

Another thing that Labour can do is just wait five years until the next election. Party support is so skewed by age in the UK, that five or ten years of natural demographic change is going to help them, especially if Reform and the Tories end up competing over the existing older right-wing vote.

9 Likes

He could be sacrificed in order to increase the local apple harvest? I’d like that. I’m very fond of apples.

6 Likes

Some of the Reform candidates might be imaginary, so there’s that.

6 Likes

Why it’s almost as if Nigel Farage himself was being bankrolled by a shadowy foreign figure and backed up by a Russian bot farm in a bid to undermine the UK and destabilise NATO?

:thinking:

11 Likes

Jonathan Pie? How? New York Times? Have they mistaken him for a trenchant political satirist?

5 Likes

what’s wrong with Jonathan Pie? Why shouldn’t the nytimes publish him?

Apologies if you were aware, but Jonathan Pie is a persona, not an actual reporter. Perhaps Colbert Report is good analogy…

3 Likes

" Video by Jonathan Pie and Adam Westbrook

Jonathan Pie is a fictional newscaster created by the British comedian Tom Walker. Mr. Westbrook is a producer and editor with Opinion Video."

his debut at the times

" To help make sense of the scandal surrounding the prime minister, we enlisted the help of satirical newscaster Jonathan Pie…"

Pretty obvious disclaimer, I should think

1 Like