Labour's knives come out for Corbyn, but he's guaranteed a spot on the ballot

Presumably though it is only because he wanted the cannon for the city. As far as I can tell, May recognizes no limits to tools acceptable for use in the name of national security.

On the plus side, May famously dubbed the Tories the “nasty party”, and said that government and the party needs to embrace poor people and minorities.

I thought she did a very good job in her announcement speech, especially the sharp digs at Johnson. Gove is not nearly as compelling a public speaker. I’m calling it for May.

1 Like

[citation needed, and not about Crabb.]

again, [citation needed]. He was on the right side on phone tapping, but I suspect that was because he was the one being tapped.

My experience of MPs, though mainly from 20 years ago or so, are that there are 2 sorts of MPs: the ones who represent their constituents and do a good job, and the ones you hear about a lot. The difference between a well known MP and a stand-up comedian can be very thin. (In Johnson’s case I’m not sure there was really a difference.)
Corbyn was almost unknown for many years while he got on with representing his constituency, and that’s part of his problem. He’s surrounded by raving egomaniacs with a touch of the Dunning-Kruegers, and they don’t like it.

1 Like

The class that has produced our most lethal army officers.

I can’t remember the author, but the quote is about the last months of WW2 and goes something like this: that the Americans saw the end of the war as a battle for freedom and democracy, while many in the officers’ messes of the British Army saw it as a kind of match against a reasonably sporting opponent, which would make some nice additions to the regimental history.

That’s the spirit inculcated at Eton*. Of course the other ranks get killed, it’s their job, and officers get killed because this is a high stakes game, but fundamentally it isn’t serious, it’s an interesting and amusing way of passing life and sides don’t ultimately matter. Like the two Oxford students who tossed a coin to decide who should join the Liberals and who the Conservatives, since they both couldn’t be party leader at the same time.

*Or so my spies tell me.

Well, I’m not aware of any direct link of his to the sort of christian-fundamentalist wing Crabb is directly involved with. He might be crazy, but at least looks like a reasonable sort of crazy, rather than the cuckoo-land variety Crabb and Farron represent.

He’s talking about Fox, no?

You are correct.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.