Ladies in films win fights with this weird sexy trick

Pro-wrestling is extremely hard on the mind and the body. Long hours, crazy travel schedules, isolation, pressure to perform and physical wear and tear all take their toll. Alcohol and drugs are/were rife. Less so these days, but back in the Attitude Era, they were still a big problem. You’d need to be incredibly strong and stable to survive all that.

6 Likes

Men are easily and predictably titillated by simple and predictable things and pandering to them is easy money.

2 Likes

Maybe, but gay men aren’ really being pandered to.

I’d also ask you to consider Fifty Shades of Grey. Women are so desprate to have titillation aimed at them that they will go crazy over some pretty terrible and problematic crap. I don’t think that the task of titillating women is really all that tricky, and it’s been proven to be easy money, thanks to the example I mentioned.

8 Likes

The market consensus seems to be that it’s easier to titillate male audiences with sexy visuals and female audiences with sexy words. I have no idea if there have been any decent studies to check the validity of those stereotypes, but the sales numbers for romance novels that could be classified as “chick lit” absolutely dwarf those for novels that fall under “dick lit.”

Then again, maybe that’s just because women don’t have any other media that panders to them in quite the same way.

2 Likes

This is the way I see it…I know that ladies are turned on by visuals from my own experience and from talking about it…don’t think for a minute that ladies don’t get a little jolt and a big smile when seeing sexy people…or straight up turned on when looking at pictures of sex or sexy looking partners.

4 Likes

Not just a move for small ladies! Gotta put this here:

2 Likes

I suspect it’s a harder nut to crack (oof. No pun intended). While what you say is certainly true, producing something that successfully ticks the right boxes and attracts a female audience is (again, I suspect) harder than it looks for this class of media, whereas it’s relatively easy in the realm of words.

Why the disparity? I have no idea.

Counter example of a more believable version of this:
Gina Carano and Michael Fassbender in Haywaire.

Now, the only reason it’s a more believable version is because Gina Carano actually knows how to fight and Michael Fassbender isn’t a heavyweight. But since we are meant to compare fighting styles used by men vs women in movies we’ll forget that broken glass should cause way more damage than we see here and suspend disbelief so we can compare apples to apples, a spy thriller fight somewhat grounded in reality vs Captain America.

Since the video in the original post didn’t make an argument I won’t make one either and will jump straight to my conclusions :slight_smile:

Basically, Hollywood uses women for titillation at every turn, fight scenes included, it emphasizes power in men and agility in women in order to deal with the weight gap which is further compounded by hiring thin pretty women vs big bulky muscular dudes, even when there are better ways to go about it and they’ll milk it for sex appeal as they’ll do everything else.

So I’ll finish up with a unicorn chaser and let some people who do fights best who can do a lot better even when making fun of the genre:

7 Likes

I can’t find any online footage of the fight scenes, but Angela Bassett’s character in this one is a notable example of female hand-to-hand done right:

4 Likes

Sort of makes sense as a way to deal with men who misuse a valuable sexbot.

I always interpreted this move as an inventive method for the lady to leverage their body weight to maximum effect against men who usually have more muscle mass. From that perspective I’ve always enjoyed the use of the move.

Now you’ve gone and ruined my child-like perspective of this by opening my eyes to the likely reality.

God damned reality ruins everything!

1 Like

Is that an original cut of the trailer? It looks so “80’s”.

I remember enjoying the movie but never revisited it.

Now there’s a great fight scene. So brutal. I love that movie!

1 Like

No idea; it’s just what came up on YouTube.

Worth a revisit; rare example of quality cyberpunky SF cinema.

2 Likes

Less women behind the scene?

5 Likes

As proven by the MANY Idris Elba photos in the various threads!

10 Likes

14 Likes
6 Likes

I think this reflects more on the writer than it does Hollywood action scenes. The scissor take down isn’t new but it’s enjoying a recent resurgence in popularity. It is an effective method to use against a larger and heavier opponent so it would make sense for a woman to include it in her fight training. It’s also very flashy and looks great on film.
However, if you view the world through a polarized lense you are going to see things a bit differently.

1 Like

What about Robin vs. the Penguin?

2 Likes