Lady Gaga interrupts her concert to scold Pence: "You are the worst representation" of Christianity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/22/lady-gaga-interrupts-her-conce.html

11 Likes

I’d give even odds that Mike Pence even knows who Lady Gaga is. He doesn’t seem like a pop culture kind of guy.

1 Like

giphy

14 Likes

I also doubt he even knows who Lady Gaga is, but kudos to her for using her platform in such a way.

24 Likes

Countdown to Pence going to a Lady Gaga concert so he can walk out as political theater on our dime in 3…2…1

8 Likes

Speaking of which…

The MAGgAts are going to be just as butthurt about this as they were about the Hamilton lecture.

18 Likes

He assumes she’s the wife of Lord Gaga.

(thanks Big Bang Theory)

17 Likes

Well…color me shocked, I always thought she was British.

learn somethin new every day.

1 Like

Utterly off topic, but a friend of mine once heard a radio show where they said that Aerosmith was the greatest American rock band of all time. We were laughing incredulously, but we then started trying to think of other rock bands and unfailingly every one that came to mind was British.

6 Likes

You’re confusing her with Dame Gaga of Paddington.

6 Likes

There is the Jimi Hendrix Experience but that is a fringe case with both members apart from Hendrix being English and Hendrix being inarguably by far the more important member.
There’s The Doors.
It’s also a case of what you define as a rock band. Nirvana? The Beach Boys?
But I know what you mean, you really have to think to come up with great American rock bands, whereas if it’s just great rock bands, you can just reel them off.

Nice one Lady Gaga!

1 Like

9 Likes

They are great, but not really what I would think of when I hear “rock band”. If we are going with this broad of a definition, then there are many great bands one could think of.

1 Like

David Byrne was born in in Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland in 1952.
Dual UK/US citizenship since 2012.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Pence is a dominionist, not a Christian. He may not think there’s a difference, but I do.

3 Likes

American rock bands certainly exist, but it’s amazing how easy it is to sit around thinking of rock bands going, “Wait, they’re British too…”

We did think of the Eagles. I don’t like Aerosmith, but I’d still put them ahead of the Eagles.

We thought of Springsteen and the E-Street Band, but that felt like cheating. I’d put Hendrix in the same category.

It certainly does matter what you call rock, and what you call “greatest” (which we felt was restricting us to big names with big sales or legacies, not just to bands that made great music). This conversation was some time back, and I think back then I tended to break music up into way more categories. Now I’d be way more tempted to include Nirvana, the Talking Heads (@milliefink), R.E.M., the Ramones, and Parliament Funkadelic/P-Funk All Stars (which I don’t see as a mere extension of George Clinton) in a discussion of “rock” bands. If you include all that then my immediate instinct of derisive laughter was totally appropriate (did I mention I don’t like Aerosmith?).

1 Like

2a59pa

2 Likes

Here’s what I’m thinking about Pence right now. He’s extremely obsequious towards Trump (think of that time he put the water bottle on the floor after Trump did). He also defends Trump past the point of absurdity, regardless of truth or falsehood.

Trump is a narcissist with a broken concept of “truth” that in no way connects back to reality. Pence is not. Trump is running on a parallel track to the truth, never touching it. Pence is lying. What is he lying for?

I’ll admit I’m pretty much just ignoring the possibility that he actually thinks Trump is a good president and is doing a good job, but I feel like I’ve got two options in my head: He thinks Trump is going to bring about the end of the world and he wants that; or he’s the Russian agent.

3 Likes

The Velvet Underground, Fleetwood Mac and CCR are also worth mentioning.

Interestingly, I can more easily think of great single person rock stars from the US than the UK though. Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Iggy Pop, Chuck Berry to name a few.

I also dislike Aerosmith btw.