Lance Armstrong says he would never cheat at golf

Ohhh ohhhhhhhhhhh! I like!!!

It’s not exactly a corneal implant, but a lack of the lens. (Or, maybe more recently, a lens that is not UV-opaque.)

I wonder how the retina copes with the high-energy near-UV, if it is not being degraded.

It is nice but I’d go rather for near-infrared, more useful stuff there. If you aren’t a bird of prey or a bee. But ideally I’d get both. (No good photoreceptors for far-IR. Snakes have bolometers but they are good just for heat source location, or sensing thermal, not for seeing thermal. But electronics can help here. A third eye with direct brain interface could be fun.)

Check out gene therapies for color-blindness. They managed to get new receptors growing, and integrating into the image processing networks; the animals (rats? chimps?) became able to recognize the colors they weren’t able to handle before. I assume this could be done for gaining polychromacy, with receptors for extra wavelengths. I also assume there would be screams from various “bioethicists” and “philosophers” how it is wrong because the impairment is shared by everybody so it is not sickness so it should not be treated - and that’s why we need rogue labs that don’t have to listen to these killjoys. Something that was the Neuromancer’s “Chiba City” with its black clinics.

I’m holding out for the ability to move the visible range up and down the electromagnetic spectrum at will …

1 Like

Use augmented reality. Or even use Oculus Rift (or its ilk) with external cameras and fuse the signals together to rgb. Add synthesized environment from e.g. sonars (if you work in muddy water). Lots of possibilities with already existing technology.

Thought… gene-therapy induced polychromacy, and using VR with modified DLP projectors, using more wavelengths corresponding to the ones the modded eyes can do for illuminating the mirror arrays. That should provide you with quite more channels than mere RGB, cram way more information into field of vision.

It’s all a bit too bulky at the moment, but yes. And you’d want a system that doesn’t allow UV to fall on the retina — folks with Aphakia are going to be at higher risk of retinal melanoma. Which presents late and has often metastasised by the time it’s detected.

I was naturally blessed with the distance vision that Tiger Woods and Co. had Lasik to obtain, but now my arms are too short to be able to read without glasses —and I hate them. But not so much that it’s worth risking sacrificing distance vision to get rid of them. But in the future, when that goes too …

There was actually a University of Washington research group that was able to give naturally dichromatic monkies trichromacy by putting the human gene for green red sensitive pigment into a viral vector and injecting it into their eyes.

It was on Radiolab. The researchers were getting so many requests from colorblind people for the stuff they had to destroy the small stock of their research virus and change their contact info.

1 Like

“Falsework” was deliberate, yes. It let’s you talk about a framework, but one that can then – hopefully – be dispensed with. It suggests you are trying to get past the need for support. I use “falsework” at any opportunity. Those opportunities are damned few.

I disagree with you on how to treat someone trying to put his life back together, even a rather repulsive fellow, but I appreciate your affection for a good word.

This is probably the same I am referring to.

I didn’t know this. But it doesn’t surprise me. And is another argument for the Chiba City approach; risky but years can be shaved off the progress with just some volunteering casualties.

I wonder how difficult would be to duplicate the virus in some Chinese, Thai, or Korean lab. And provide the services there, with the added cost of a flight ticket; medical tourism already works in a similar way.

Should be far from impossible. Even fairly large gene sequences can be bought on open market, made to order. Viral vectors are a stock tech, and there are other gene delivery methods as well, liposomes for example.

It is big and bulky. But it is available NOW, with off-the-shelf parts. (It will be in contact lenses tomorrow, but then, who wants to wait.)

The only not so great thing is that the injection had to be behind the retina and it took (it was either months or years) for the monkeys to develop an awareness of their red sensitive pigment. They were brought into the lab for color vision testing every day for a very long time before they started noticing red colors. But the cool part was that as soon as they started seeing red, it was just a completely normal thing. One day they couldn’t see red if they were run over by a fire truck, the next day red was everywhere.

So more tests are needed, including on human subjects who can tell better what they see.

This is promising for other kinds of add-on senses, too. Possibly also for smell (e.g. ability to smell carbon monoxide, methane, hydrogen, or other gases you are working with or your equipment could release). And magnetic fields (use those cells with magnetite particles, knockoff of natural ones). And generic inputs (electronics interfaced to nerves, though here no gene modding is actually needed).

Yeah, I think one of the procedures is called the “Tommy John” or somesuch. Surgery to move tendons in the elbow or something like that?

A powered wheelchair race? Well okaythen, this has both a chair and a wheel–I’d like to be powered by it:

Yes, this one.

1 Like

up his silicone ring?

1 Like

“Fell in with a bad crowd”, as they say.

Sounds good, but I bet the first controls will be like the dial on the shower faucet. Good luck seeing normal colour ever again.

2 Likes

Now I’m just imagining what happens when I’d have to “degauss my eyes”…Toiiiiiinngngngngng

4 Likes

And then the bionic versions come.
“I have eyes of my father.”

Is that supposed to mean “I have my father’s eyes” or is it a deeper literary reference I don’t get? Like you say, explained jokes are like cold pizza, still pretty good.

It was back-translated from dubbed version of Hot Shots!, meant to refer to the scene with the eyes in the box. With double reference to the cyberpunk scifi theme of eye implants, allowing both the eyes-installed and eyes-not-installed interpretation