Landscapers find car buried deep in yard of fancy Silicon Valley home, cadaver dogs on the scene

Originally published at: Landscapers find car buried deep in yard of fancy Silicon Valley home, cadaver dogs on the scene | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Cadaver Dog is on the scene.

58 Likes

How do they know how long the car has been buried? They didn’t say in the article.

3 Likes

My thinking is because they mention a ‘current homeowner’ that homeowner purchased and moved in post-90s and it’s just an educated guess at this point. Another possibility is there was still a registration and or inspection sticker visible which helped narrow things down.

15 Likes

Could be. According to Zillow, the current owner bought the house in 2020.

4 Likes

This sort of thing has been on my mind as I’ve been extracting what I think are parts of a 1960’s era tractor out of my back yard. (Year based on the beer bottles found alongside.)

13 Likes

No wonder the tomatoes did so well in that garden, good compost…

13 Likes

The gentleman who had the house built in 1990 had served 3 years of a “5 to life” sentence for 2nd degree murder but got the conviction overturned on appeal in 68.
In reports about Johnny Bocktune Lew’s arrest, trial, and conviction for a 1999 insurance fraud scheme it is mentioned that he also served 3 years for a pair of 1977 convictions for attempted murder.
It’s in the extensive news reports for the 99 “sinking the million dollar yacht to collect on insurance” scheme that we learn about his (claimed) association with “an Asian crime syndicate called the Triad Organization”

I find it a bit odd that all the details of the 1968 and 1999 cases are easy to find, but the only details I can find about his 1977 convictions is that he had attempted murder convictions and had served 3 years.

13 Likes

Triads are Chinese organised crime groups. There is no single “Triad Organization”.

2 Likes

sic erat scriptum in the 1999 press articles.

I used the quote because I found it amusing, for the reason you state. Also because, if Police believed that Lew was triad-affiliated, that would help explain the leap to assuming presence of one or more dead bodies. (I predict none will be found)

4 Likes

Between the VIN number and home sale date?

1 Like

carbon dating?
depositional analysis?
tree rings?

3 Likes

License plates?

8 Likes

The VIN dates the car, not the hole and the current owner bought it in 2020.

3 Likes

“a slight notification of possible human remains”.
What a perfect way to describe how unreliable cadaver or drig-sniffing dogs are.

8 Likes

… could have used one of these

5 Likes

“since the 90s!”

I didn’t even know they had cars way back then. Huh, the more you know.

2 Likes

Or so they would want you to believe.

1 Like

One of the “long-term abusers” who vandalise Wikipedia articles wants you to believe that all gangs in the Philippines belong to a giant “Sindikato”.

2 Likes

The tone of that background news article was certainly … interesting. " colorful history of arrests for murder and insurance fraud", “suffering a bout of lung cancer”, etc.

2 Likes