Lara Trump says her Tom Petty cover song is getting "shadow banned" — but no, it's just bad

Let’s be real: in what world WOULD a 40-year-old with a below-average voice and no previous singing or recording or performing experience whatsoever have a hit with a heavily auto-tuned cover of a 34-year-old song?

And she has the delusion to complain that it’s not a hit. The Trump sense of entitlement remains absolutely staggering, even when acquired by marriage.

5 Likes

Right!?! She should come down here and play some free shows at airbnb parties with her cover band like everyone else!

9 Likes

“What do you mean all those bot listeners we bought at release could only keep her on the charts temporarily” (assuming he isn’t just outright lying…)

If she wanted her cover band to get any traction, she should’ve started with Hard to Handle. That’s what every.single.cover band played when I worked at a pub in the early 2000s anyway…

9 Likes

Eric Trump opines:

Apple appears to be viscously shadow banning [Lara’s] new song … Lara’s name, when typed in full, is hardly viable …

“viscously”? “viable”?

Oh, Eric, autocorrect is not your friend.

6 Likes

I don’t have the most discerning ear. You can get away with some things and I won’t catch it/be bothered by it. But holy cow, Lara Trumps live attempt is just horrible. The notes, the off keys, the odd cadence - it is all terrible. I heard like 10 secs of the published one and even with auto tune it was not good. Where the people making this thing wanting to embarrass her? Or were they delusional? Or more likely, the record was cut by a Pterodactyl who skawked, “It’s a living.”

4 Likes

Just imagine a whine originating somewhere in the upper sinuses squeezing out “I WOmbat down” and you have the gist of it.

6 Likes

Mikey Day Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

Try 30-weight.

Hopefully he’s right about something, for once

I think if she pays the royalties (a big if - though presumably Apple handles that) then she’s free to do the cover version, though I’m basing this on very old information (looks at date - wow, it was already old when I read it 35 years ago)

(or what @MikeR said)

6 Likes

Yeah, you owe @MikeR a coke.

5 Likes

Animated GIF
It’s a small mercy that Tom didn’t have to listen to her butchering his song.

4 Likes

Apple was evidently being somewhat like marshmallow fluff as they “shadow banned” her wretched warbles.

Seems to me that neither lara, her hubby, nor his family are viable nor reliable.

3 Likes

Oh, you just know the demons of hell are considering adding it to their punishment playlist, though.

2 Likes

Here is the image boing boing posted for the article. I portrait cropped it, with no added effects…

Can’t we get better photos of these people?
IMG_8873

3 Likes

Apple appears to be viscously shadow banning

Viscously? Dipping it in engine oil? Whatever.

They’re not sending their best photos. (Oh, wait - they really ARE! These people DO look like this.)

5 Likes

no. no “we” can not.
the deep ugliness of hate makes the bearer most unattractive on the outside. every. time.

5 Likes

I thought about listening to this but I didn’t want to cause myself a Breakdown.

5 Likes

I don’t support her, but I’m posting this for clarity. It’s still bad, so why worry about making it worse? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Check out Colbert’s latest monologue. He speculated that it was the horse that was singing and that it had been autotuned.

4 Likes

The version on boingboing isn’t the edited version though unless they’ve changed it.

1 Like

Thank you for taking one for the team. I still have not listened.

1 Like