Large sofa stuck on small staircase

Sometime in the late 1980ies my dad saved an early 1960ies leather sofa, essentially an extra-wide wing chair that seats 3 to 4 comfortably, from going into a skip. Getting it up the staircase was easy. Getting it through the penultimate door was feasible after (carefully) sawing the legs off. The last door was too narrow, no matter what.
Long story short, we took a detour by dismantling some wood panelling on one side of a drywall, the back of a built-in wardrobe on the other side of that drywall, cut a hole in the wall, carried the sofa through, then put everything back together again.
That sofa never left the room we put it in. I sometimes use it to take a nap.

6 Likes

Indeed, two simple internal cuts of the couch, and you can slouch up the stair. Why I’m surprised the livery agents didn’t have the shims and keyhole saws with them.

2 Likes

We have a really solid work table in the basement that was put in there before the drywall on the basement stair was installed. Without being able to go out of bounds at the twist in the stair, I don’t think it’ll leave in one piece.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the moving sofa problem

3 Likes

Could be worse. I had to 1) help carry a grand piano up narrow, twisting apartment stairs, and later 2) move an electric church organ up angled outside steps. The OP’s sofa likely weighed less than either of those. Easy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.