Last of the Stolen Generation sisters who inspired 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' dies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/29/last-of-the-stolen-generation.html

5 Likes

As well as Rabbit Proof Fence, watch this:

David Gulpilil is in both, playing pretty much the same character.

And while I’m here:

Stolen children isn’t just history.

17 Likes

Yikes, I had not seen those stats.

3 Likes

Well at least the world has learned from that dark period of history and we can rest assured that no modern government would ever again AW FUCK

13 Likes

So the story as written is all background information, but says nothing about the sister that died, including when and how, did she leave a family, did she have a legacy…?

It would be nice to know if she had a happy life, how old was she, etc.

1 Like

(photos in that one)

4 Likes

Jesus, reading this thread is really getting to me. I’d heard the title Rabbit Proof Fence before but had no idea what it was about. This is all pretty painful to absorb. We human beings can be such piles of shit sometimes.

Conversely, people like those sisters are amazing.

4 Likes

Um, sorry @AndreaJames but just for accuracy’s sake I believe the journey was undertaken by two sisters and a cousin. But yes, all three were remarkable.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I appreciate being able to find out more about these girls.

I do believe the article should have detailed some of this information to do justice to these children and their determination.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.