Micky Dolenz sues to get The Monkees' full FBI file

Originally published at: Micky Dolenz sues to get The Monkees' full FBI file | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Micky Dolzen, the sole survivor of The Monkees

I know it isnt supposed to, but it sounds a little like the Monkees had a fight to the death.

In the end, there can only be one.

28 Likes

I suppose it’s only a matter of time before we find out The Banana Splits were secretly MI6 agents.

20 Likes

I heard that they made the mistake of undertaking “one last mission” before retiring. Dolenz never talked about it, and would get a 1,000 yard stare whenever the subject came up.

Edited for less “e” and more “o”.

22 Likes

16 Likes

Maybe they wanted a seeing-eye minky?

9 Likes

Don’t you know that the Banana Splits were homicidal robots?

7 Likes

While they have a reputation as a squeaky clean, bubblegum pop group, their hit song Last Train to Clarksville was actually a stealth anti-Vietnam song.

12 Likes

Wow. That is… very stealthy.
About the only component that really supports that theory are these lines:

“And I must go / Oh, no, no, no / Oh, no, no, no
And I don’t know if I’m ever comin’ home

I mean… I’ll take it as given, since it’s coming from the creators, but if a student tried to pass that off in class, I would think they’re reading waaay too much into it.

5 Likes

“subliminal messages” that were allegedly depicted on the screen, “which, in the opinion of [informant] constituted 'left wing intervention of a political nature… These messages and pictures were flashed of riots, in Berkley, anti-U.S. messages on the war in Vietnam, racial riots in Selma, Alabama, and similar messages which had unfavorable response from the audience.”

So the audience saw the pictures clearly enough to know what they depicted, which caused an “unfavorable response”? Then they’re not subliminal, right? Liminal messages, maybe?

13 Likes

A-Team prequel?

3 Likes

“In 1972 a crack commando unit
Was sent to prison by a military court
For a crime they didn’t commit.
These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade
To the Los Angeles underground
Today, still wanted by the government,
They survive as soldiers of fortune.
If you have a problem,
If no one else can help
And if you can find them
And if you can stop them Monkeeing around
Maybe you can hire the Monkees”

14 Likes

The Monkees had more hits than the A-Team…

:thinking:

10 Likes

It only clicked for me as an anti-war song because I lived in Tennessee and Clarksville is home to Fort Campbell, the home of the 101st Airborne, who saw heavy movement all around Vietnam and were brought in as a “fixer” force to solve unsolvable problems and actions. This resulted in losses.

If I didn’t know Clarksville had Ft. Campbell, I wouldn’t have ever figured out the song was anti-war.

13 Likes

The article I read discussed its being an anti-war song, about a young soldier’s leaving his GF to go to war.

ETA: Oh, and

Micky Dolzen, the sole survivor of The Monkees

There’s a tpyo there.

4 Likes

Yup Don Kirshner was great at getting session writers and performers together. (see The Wrecking Crew)

5 Likes

Maybe he’ll finally find out what was in Davy Jones’ locker.

7 Likes

He doesn’t have to be a daydream believer to think he’ll win this case.

2 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.