Michael Nesmith, Monkees singer-songwriter, RIP

Originally published at: Michael Nesmith, Monkees singer-songwriter, RIP | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Mickey Dolenz wins the tontine.

15 Likes
22 Likes

Also, while not specifically about Nesmith, since HEAD is linked here I’ll just add that 46 minutes into the film (co-written by Jack Nicholson) is Davy Jones singing the Nilsson-penned “Daddy’s Song” while dancing with Toni Basil (who probably choreographed the routine) all shot in a way that deserves a photosensitive seizure warning.

The 60s, man.

11 Likes

“Oh what can it mean, to a daydream believer…?”

RIP

20 Likes

He was always my favourite Monkee. I’ll miss him.

19 Likes

A promotional genius and pretty good songwriter, I share a particular love for his new wave soundtrack to the midnight circuit classic Timerider

(Fast forward to 8:20 for a taste of the OST)

8 Likes

I’m going to watch Elephant Parts tonight. I remember seeing it at a film festival when I was a kid and thinking it was one of the greatest things ever made.
This makes me sad.

6 Likes

I always enjoyed Nesmith’s parody of his own lovely song, “Joanne.” He’ll be missed.

8 Likes

Farewell and thanks Mike.

11 Likes

Totally low-key trying to get my son to learn this dance routine for a future talent show.

4 Likes

CW: war, murder

I watched “Head” last summer and this song and scene completely blew my mind. Rest in Peace, Mr. Nesmith.

6 Likes

oh wow, i forgot all about Timerider!

3 Likes

My favorite Monkee.

14 Likes

But I bet he is feeling like shit today.

3 Likes

I’m sure he does. Having the whole street-bed all to himself is a sad and hollow victory

6 Likes

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye

3 Likes

everyone knows Repo Man. it’s great. I had no idea Nesmith was affiliated with it, but obviously that tracks.

Tapeheads, however, I don’t hear a lot of talk about, but it’s one of my favorites; one of the movies I was stoked to find as a used-for-sale vhs when I was a teen at our discount supermarket and have watched countless times. Straight away in the opening credits: “a Michael Nesmith production.” it’s great for the myriad cameos alone, including Jello Biafra as a G-man.

as a young kid, Mtv re-ran The Monkees, and I liked it. but it seemed obvious even to a dumb little kid like me that it was just a (more) middle-america-friendly rip-off of the Beatles for the idiot box. however, my local station re-ran those shows as a marathon recently and they actually hold up as their own thing, particularly after the first season. despite being a “fake” band, whichever people they got to write those songs were pretty good. I mean, later hearing Minor Threat cover “Steppin’ Stone” was pretty eye-opening. And Nesmith, widely thought to be the “cool” one, with the least-staged personality (by me, too) wrote a fair number of those tunes.

He was one of the good guys, for sure.

3 Likes

As my daughter said when she was around 10 yrs old and watching the Monkees “They are not a real band. Its all fake” then pointing at Mike Nesmith “That’s not even really his hat”.

(She has since grown in her appreciation of those very talented fellows)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.