'Monkees' star Peter Tork dead at 77

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/monkees-peter-tork-dead-at-77.html

8 Likes

I had a big sad when I heard about it this morning.

21 Likes

What’s the use in tryin’?
All you get is pain
When I needed sunshine I got rain.

28 Likes

The Monkeys were better than they needed to be. Some producers wanted to manufacture an easy-to-market imitation Beatles band, but made the mistake of hiring people who were actual musicians who proceeded to produce decent pop music.

37 Likes

I saw them… my 10(?) year old brain didn’t think that they were very good.
The Box Tops opened, they were great.
Tough shoes and all, I know.

4 Likes

Peter was always my favorite. I guess I was catching the show when it was syndicated on, what, Nickelodeon maybe in the mid to late 80s?

I’m quite convinced that what we perceive as physical death is hardly the end of consciousness, so I’m not “sad” at his passing, but still, there’s always an emotional aspect when, well, the program ends.

Peter kind of reminds me of Kevin Spacey looks-wise. He’s like Kevin’s good twin… :wink:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Wasn’t he the cute one? Besides the other cute ones?

7 Likes

I met the fellow at my place of work, and made a colossal ass of myself. I was a huge fanboy and didn’t realize that my (at that time) objectivist thinking was actually stupid, and got into fantastically dumb argument with him. He was a decent fellow, and I hated myself for essentially ruining the hour I could have spent with him, asking about his old friends, his life and philosophies. Thinking back, he was a nice guy, and much more patient with me than I deserved. He will be missed.

9 Likes

The porpoise waves, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

9 Likes

I’ve always loved that song. Possibly their most trippy.

FD: Carole King and Gerry Goffin wrote it, and The Monkees gave it life.

5 Likes

When siriusxm 70’s station did a little obit on him, the text read his name and his birth/death years. I think it is a function of my car’s entertainment system and not siriusXM, but it displayed a picture of Peter Tosh along with it…

4 Likes

Wonderful memories of the Monkees, a truly bright spot in the music industry. Peter, slap that bass like there’s no tomorrow…

4 Likes

I always loved Tork’s singing on Shades of Gray from Headquarters:

I remember when the answer seemed so clear…

7 Likes
3 Likes

Big sad, indeed. I still listen to the Monkees regularly

4 Likes

Sad news. I grew up with the Monkees in endless reruns on TV during the '70s and '80s.

My son has started collecting vinyl and bought some Monkees LPs at our local used record store. The owner and I concurred that even though they didn’t play their instruments (not at first, anyhow), they had the best songwriters in the business writing for them and the best LA session musicians (the Wrecking Crew) playing for them, so it was still some really good music.

10 Likes

The first music I really knew as a child were my mother’s Monkees records, which I got to play on a record player in my room.

3 Likes

His mother invented white-out, right?

2 Likes

No. That’s Mickey Dolenz.

3 Likes