'Monkees' star Peter Tork dead at 77

FTFY /pedant

9 Likes

OK. I knew it wasn’t Davey Jones.

2 Likes

Not pedantic. I realized I was wrong and was gonna edit it, but you beat me to the punch.

2 Likes

No, no, no! That was the mother of Michael Nesmith, who for that reason, was independently wealthy. Not that there is anything wrong with that…

I should have realized that this would have already been addressed by the fanatics here :slight_smile:

Pisces, Aquarius Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. was the very first non-Elvis album I ever bought (I was a rabid Elvis fanatic in my pre-teen years).

2 Likes

I knew it was one of them.

Monkees were a bit before my time and weren’t rerun until my teens. But some of their songs are so earwormy. Neil Diamond was a helluva hired gun songwriter, “The Wrecking Crew” were fantastic sessions backing musicians that almost nobody outside of the music industry knew about.

4 Likes

“Some producers wanted to manufacture an easy-to-market imitation Beatles band…”

that’s what I always thought, but Mickey Dolenz tells a different story on a recent episode of Gilbert Gottfried’s podcast.

1 Like

Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees in 1967. After a handful of shows he realized that the little kids in the crowd were more interested in Davy Jones than Purple Haze so he dropped out of the tour.

2 Likes

Peter was always my favorite Monkee. May you rest in peace, Peter.

Oh man, I just missed Hendrix. I saw the Monkees in 1967 at the Buffalo, NY Memorial Auditorium. Your comment got me looking up the dates of that tour, and it looks like the last one Hendrix played with them was the one just before Buffalo. (I have no recollection of whatever opening act I must have seen. I was 11 years old, and my dad brought home the tickets as a surprise to me. Just he and I went together—I was sort of mortified to be there with my dad, but there were lots of other young girls there with their parents so it wasn’t actually that weird. We had seats on the floor, and everyone was standing on their chairs, so you couldn’t see the stage unless you stood on your chair too, so my dad and I stood on our chairs too. And everyone was screaming—so my dad screamed too!)

6 Likes

One of whom was Mike Nesmith. Here’s my favorite Monkees tune, which would have slotted into any of his later solo albums very nicely.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.