Last states called: Biden wins Georgia, Trump limps to finish in N.C

I think former gov Walker of Wisconsin said that prior recounts there only changed the totals by a few hundred votes. The 2008 recount between Al Franken and Norm Coleman has approximately 450 vote shift. Every state is different and Georgia twice the size of those states but I would be surprised if it changes more than a couple thousand votes – not 14000.

Congratulations and thanks to you and everyone in georgia who turned out to show that democrats shouldn’t ignore the south.

7 Likes

What I have read is that never has a recount changed over 1000 votes. Most are in the 200-300 range, which really makes this a waste of time and money. But gotta have the show, I guess?

8 Likes

No, he can. There is one consistent and unswerving theme running through all those statements, driven by his personal north star.

Edit: also, given that each state runs it’s own election, even aside from trump’s asinine maunderings those could be four objectively valid statements. They aren’t but the lack of a unified national approach does sort-of leave room for the god of the gaps.

1 Like

I’m not a puritan at all, but I am pretty upset at Cal Cunningham for not exercising self-control for at least the duration of his run for office. I don’t think it takes a lot of imagination to expect one’s life being under the microscope during a critical senate campaign.

9 Likes

The real wonder is how the evil Democrat genius who managed to rig the Presidential race without leaving any evidence apparently forgot about rigging enough Senate races, too, to give the Dems a solid majority in that chamber. Only goes to prove that evil geniuses always forget something crucial.

14 Likes

There’s some state (not GA, but I forget which one – WI? MI? MN?) where a campaign can ask for a recount, but if it doesn’t turn out in their favor, they have to pay back the state for the effort.

They also forgot to boost their majority in the House. To say nothing of statewide races…

Or maybe that’s how evil the Dems are, making it look like a mistake…</s>

6 Likes

I’d have thought just pulling the chain would be easier… :wink:

1 Like

I think it is still good to have statutory recounts at a threshold well above the expected margin of error. If nothing else, you find out earlier if the average count change starts rising. I’d also support randomized local recounts at the precinct or county level regardless of the margin. Biden (or the vote leader) should still be treated as the presumptive winner until the recount is finished and the result certified.

2 Likes

My gawd you have me laughing hysterically.

3 Likes

I notice that Twitter has stopped labeling Trump’s tweets with the disclaimer “This claim is disputed” and are now just flat out stating that Biden won.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.10.35 PM

21 Likes

I guess I can be a tiny wee bit less pissed off at my birth state, considering that at least my hometown went Blue…

12 Likes

I’ve got just the man for the job.

11 Likes

I’d settle for a video of him leaving while carrying the gold toilet on his back.

6 Likes

The truth is, it wasn’t really that close. Biden won the popular vote margin by one of the (if not the?) largest margins in history. The EC gap is never huge because of how stupid that system is, but it’s still pretty good. He flipped five states FFS. It only seemed close because it took a long time to count all the COVID-motivated mail in ballots. Once the counts were done, again, by usual standards, all the gaps are actually quite large.

Everyone stops paying attention as soon as the states are called, but when the totals are still close. So people imagine it was close. There are places still counting and all votes now are pretty much for Biden.

20 Likes

Did they find it again after it had been stolen?

My guess is that is has been plumbed in at Mar-a-lago for the last year.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s true, as we have margins like Reagan’s in 84, where he won like pretty much every state except for Mondale’s home state. There are several others like that in the 20th century, too, where a popular president got like almost every electoral vote.

You can click back through on wikipedia for EC and total vote counts, which is actually really fascinating to see the numbers - the most decisive in history were Reagan’s in 84 and FDR in 36:

But Biden’s margin is incredibly comfortable at this point and anyone saying otherwise is clearly trying to gaslight us. Biden’s win is most certainly decisive. It’s pretty much the same margin Trump won by in 2016, but with Biden taking the popular vote by a much wider margin than Clinton did.

10 Likes

He exactly won every state except Minnesota. And Washington DC.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s Wisconsin. If Trump gets his recount there, the state better demand a prepayment if they expect to recoup the cost.

2 Likes

Yep! The same was true for Nixon in 72… McGovern only got MA and DC.

6 Likes

Wisconsin does require pre-payment for recounts when the vote differential is over 0.5% (which it is).

7 Likes