Latch hooking helps my child forget how long we've been in the car

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/07/latch-hooking-helps-my-child-f.html

6 Likes

that one time when we had to stay in the car for 2 weeks to escape the radiated monster men, latch hooking was the only thing that kept me sane.

8 Likes

This would work well for portraits of Boris Johnson or Doland Trump.

6 Likes

I loved doing these as a kid! Also did macrame, which totally dates me.

7 Likes

Bea there soon!

15 Likes

Give them a sharpened clothes peg and a bag of rags, and you’ll have a proggy mat in no time.

3 Likes

When I was nine or ten, I got deeply into latch hooking. I made a pile of rugs, while watching “In Search of…”

I think my parents still have one or two around the house.

4 Likes

I know well the sorts of things you do to keep yourself sane on long road trips.

My parents bought a cheap summer house by my grandparents when I was a teenager. We made a lot of weekend, summer trips up there. A quick drive was 6 hours or so, with bad traffic closer to 7 to 7.5 hours.

I remember one drive back home, my brother and I decided to make a nuisance of ourselves for our older sister and youngest brother.

To sister: “Yokozuna Tina!! Win 12 Basho!” (we’d spent the previous week watching Sumo tourney’s on grandma’s satellite TV setup)
To brother: (in german accent) “Little flower boy! Smells like flowers!”

It did not bother my siblings any. But my mom finally cracked about 4 hours into this and yelled at us to just shut up. lol! It’s still a hilarious inside joke among my family.

6 Likes

We must be around the same age. These things were a HUGE fad sometime around the late 70’s early 80’s. I did a ton of them, Including a few that were 2 feet square and at least one R2D2. I am also pretty sure that I worked on my projects while watching “In Search Of” or “Not Necessarily the News”

As a dude in elementary school, my hobby was my secret shame. I refused to even store any of the materials in my room for fear that it would be discovered by a friend. I quit doing it when my mom brought it up at a family function and my cousins got wind of it. It all went in the trash when I got home in a spectacular pre-teen freakout that made my mom cry.

I was just thinking of that episode a few weeks ago when I sat next to a guy on the plane who busted out his knitting project shortly after he sat down. He said he was from Iceland and that almost everyone there (of his generation) learned how to knit at a very early age.

11 Likes

I’m surprised a car ride is smooth enough to do this sort of thing. I could possibly stitch on a train or plane, if it was a calm and smooth enough ride (or the the project is small enough that I could kind of sit with my knees up, using that as a brace), but a road vehicle is right out.

When I was in elementary school I loved it when we did “stitchery” projects. It was a sort of coarse embroidery or needlepoint using a bluntish, oversized needle, colored burlap, and cheap yarn.

Oh, come on. There were lots of things you could have done to keep busy – like play “I spy”. “I spy with my little eye something with three heads and five tentacles!”.

“Latch hooking helps my child forget how long we’ve been in the car.”

If the answer is “weeks”; that’s about the bleakest headline I’ve seen in a while.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.