Lattes with onions are a hit in China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/lattes-with-onions-are-a-hit-in-china.html

6 Likes

Classic Film Wtf GIF by Warner Archive

12 Likes

14 Likes

Alan Tudyk GIF by SYFY

13 Likes

I know that having beans with shaved ice is a thing in HI, but I’m still not ready to try it. I’ll be sticking to capps with maybe a bit of simple sugar for now, thank you.

1 Like

I like adzuki (Red Bean) ice cream, and I’d take it over green tea ice cream any day. The flavor of red bean is kind of malty, but drawback is that the texture is exactly what you expect from beans. :beans:

5 Likes

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

12 Likes

[fingers to temples]…sensing buzzfeed possession!

1. A baked beans–and–egg pizza
  2. A ketchup-filled hard-boiled egg
  3. A clam chowder ice pop
  4. Hamburger Helper with a thick layer of applesauce on top
  5. Banana slices with raw-fish bits
  6. Uncooked ramen noodles with peanut butter spread
  7. Chocolate donuts stuffed with baked beans
  8. Tuna and processed meat on pizza dough
  9. Oreos with a pickle filling
  10. Spaghetti wrapped in a slice of lunch meat
  11. Tuna inside an ice cream cone
  12. Pasta topped with chocolate sauce and cheese
  13. Chili with sushi in it
  14. Peas coated with peanut butter
  15. And, finally, a peas–and–Froot Loops Mexican-style variety plate
11 Likes

What’s interesting to me is that there’s a huge quantity of green onions involved. It’s not a subtle little flavor addition here, it’s going to be overwhelmingly tasting of green onion, even if you strained them out in the process of drinking it. So the “coffee” becomes a bitter green onion with milk drink. Which… doesn’t help any, in making it sound more palatable, really.

5 Likes

Yeah, who ever would consider mixing onions with their beans! Weirdos, that’s who.

(Having a large ruminant lactate into your beverage, however, just makes common sense.)

5 Likes

I prefer having almonds lactate into mine, actually.

13 Likes

not sure if you made those up, if they are real somewhere, or there is a trolley driving through…
but - clam chowder (white, not red) ice pop is a go for me, as is the raw tuna in an ice cream cone, raw fish with banana, and (the one that apparently is real) a big yes on the lobster ice cream!
do i sense a theme here? :thinking:

6 Likes

Lobster, creme fresh, parsley, seasonings, some amount of starch to bind it, possibly a poach then chill/freeze scenario?

I’m kinda imagining it like a panna cotta with a lobster bisque sauce

4 Likes

Oh god no. This isn’t something people do because it tastes good. This is like basically a prank/endurance challenge.

3 Likes

gotta be.

3 Likes

If you’re not eating that green tea ice cream…

Hungry Yogi Bear GIF by Boomerang Official

9 Likes

I started eating a clove of raw garlic at least once a day several years ago as some kind of half-assed health food experiment.

I did notice that drinking a coffee after the garlic was a strangely pleasant combination on my taste buds. So maybe there’s something to this onion latte idea.

6 Likes

I still want to try an onion sandwich. Nothing’s stopping me, really. :smirk::onion::sandwich:

2 Likes

I like to toast a hearty slice of baguette then rub a peeled glove of garlic onto it. The bread acts like a cheese grater and it tastes great. It’s probably a bit easier on your guts too.

2 Likes

I know onions in tea used to be a thing a long time ago in China. Never pictured this many though.

1 Like