Lavabit founder Levison: decision to close was like 'putting a beloved pet to sleep'

I would love it if Goodman would reopen in a country where privacy rights are still honored. How about Switzerland?

Who really cares what a dictionary says if no one goes by the definition? Language is a living, ever morphing concept. If the majority of people using the word “libertarian” to describe themselves do not go by the Merriam-Webster definition, there are no language police who will come by and arrest them, demanding they stick to the proper definition.

The actual definition of libertarian is anti-authoritarian. By
definition you can’t be a libertarian and a corporatist.

That is, unless you use a dictionary to get your ‘actual definition’

1. a person who advocates liberty, especially with regard to thought or conduct.
  2. a person who maintains the doctrine of free will (distinguished from necessitarian ).
  3. advocating liberty or conforming to principles of liberty.
  4. maintaining the doctrine of free will.

Merriam Webster

1. an advocate of the doctrine of free will
  2. (a) person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action. (b) If capitalized : a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles

Advocating individual liberty does not equate to being anti-authoritarian. For example, I can advocate free will of thought and still believe in the authority of a democracy to enact laws based on the mandate of the people. I can support authority while remaining a free willed person.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.