I would love it if Goodman would reopen in a country where privacy rights are still honored. How about Switzerland?
Who really cares what a dictionary says if no one goes by the definition? Language is a living, ever morphing concept. If the majority of people using the word “libertarian” to describe themselves do not go by the Merriam-Webster definition, there are no language police who will come by and arrest them, demanding they stick to the proper definition.
The actual definition of libertarian is anti-authoritarian. By
definition you can’t be a libertarian and a corporatist.
That is, unless you use a dictionary to get your ‘actual definition’
- a person who advocates liberty, especially with regard to thought or conduct.
- a person who maintains the doctrine of free will (distinguished from necessitarian ).
- advocating liberty or conforming to principles of liberty.
- maintaining the doctrine of free will.
- an advocate of the doctrine of free will
- (a) person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action. (b) If capitalized : a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles
Advocating individual liberty does not equate to being anti-authoritarian. For example, I can advocate free will of thought and still believe in the authority of a democracy to enact laws based on the mandate of the people. I can support authority while remaining a free willed person.
This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.