Lawsuit reveals the deadly, out-of-control free-for-all inside Red State America's for-profit prisons

1 Like

Challenge for anyone in favour of for-profit prisons:

Name the actual mechanisms for which the owners make more money by actually improving the rehabilitation of prisoners into society…

Now, i can name countless examples of how cutting rehabilitation to the bone maximises short-term private profit, but please give any example why it’s a good idea in the wider longer-term societal picture…

Prisons should be to reduce crime, not increase if you can make a short-term profit off of it…

(edits to fix some terrible grammar)

5 Likes

The way I understand it, the theory is that the prisons are so unutterably horrifying that the terror of being sent there will keep the criminals from reoffending. And, of course, the ones that die never get to commit more crimes which suits the people in favor of this thing just fine.

Basically, the position is completely self-consistent, logical, and simple, as long as you assume people are trivially cowed by fear and that criminals (defined broadly) aren’t fully human.Which, incidentally, is why articles like this won’t work because the people who are horrified are against private prisons already and those who are for private prisons see the brutality as part of the point.

5 Likes

… and, to add to your accurate precis of the situation - no-one knows about this stuff anyway, except the few good conscience souls who care about civil liberties. (Hello BB!)

1 Like

While this is all sickening and disgusting, I can’t say I would expect any better (certainly not in the days before the for-profit contractors were hired) from the same state that’s home to the Parchman Farm.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.