Lawyer Michael Avenatti arrested on felony domestic violence allegations: LAPD

Ocasio-Cortez is only 29, sadly not old enough to be eligible for the presidency.

4 Likes

The beautiful thing about this, is that even if it’s a false allegation, he’s still getting a taste of his own medicine. Today is a great day.

I think it’s safe to assume that this is a false flag…something. Now we just need to imagine what and why and how.

So far though, no woman has said anything that we know of.

At this point the charges definitely could be Trumped up.

3 Likes

If Trump had been arrested; I’d call that a fair deal.

6 Likes

This post aged well.

2 Likes

Yet.

17 Likes

Welcome to the BBS. May your stay here be educational.

You’re right- if Ocasio-Cortez were to run against a principled, articulate, small-government, fiscally conservative Republican she’d probably lose. But against the petulant, ineffectual, racist spendthrift currently in the White House? She’d mop the floor with him. Sadly, she is ineligible.

15 Likes

Right now, perhaps.

6 Likes

Sure, I agree. but I don’t feel a need to point that out on the internet :slight_smile:

Subtle but important distinction IMHO

Thanks for the pro-Kavanaugh opinion.

1 Like

As you say, yet.

I’m irritated by people who dismiss Ocasio-Cortez or lump her in with long shots and vanity candidates. Her accomplishment is real and remarkable and she will continue to be a force to be reckoned with.

2024 seems impossibly far off, particularly as we are trapped right now on a mœbius of disgrace and incompetence with the current occupant of the White House. But I see some small cause for hope in the midterm results- new faces, younger energy presaging better days ahead.

13 Likes

and, please, don’t sit on the skewers.

Of course, but which woman and about what? We don’t know any details yet. (I think it’s safe to discard the TMZ stuff, which has run hit-job stories before, Scientology related. [No doubt they’ve run non-Scientology-related hit jobs, but that’s outside my focus.])

Los Angeles police said Avenatti was arrested Wednesday afternoon.

Officer Tony Im, a police spokesman, said the victim had visible injuries. He declined to provide details about the victim’s relationship to Avenatti.

As he walked out of the police station Wednesday evening after posting $50,000 US bail

As a privileged white male lawyer, I’m sure that LAPD will do all the obvious forensic tests. (Which should be normal for everyone but…) This isn’t a cold 20-year-old incident. Soon enough, we’ll have more to go on.

2 Likes

Well, no.

1 Like

Yes. So maybe don’t comment at all, rather than pre-emptively say you currently are skeptical? :thinking:

I’m sure there will be more details come Thursday morning.

A force to be reckoned with? Perhaps, not every candidate who makes a splash in their first cycle translates to a politician with lasting national appeal. She still needs to get her name on some bills, navigate her way onto the cable talk shows, and successfully navigate all of the deliberately controversial bills she’ll inevitably need to take a position on.

But even if she succeeds as a politician she won’t be a Presidential candidate, at least not in 2024. Obama was “young” for the Presidency and he was 47, she won’t be considered a serious candidate at 35, probably not at 39 either.

Ocasio-Cortez’s path to the Presidency involves moving up to the Senate or a Governorship in about 10 years and then spending another 8 years of proving herself in that position. 2028 at the absolute earliest but 2032 is more likely the start of her run as a legitimate Presidential candidate.

She’s a good bet for the next-next generation of candidates, but the challenger to Trump is someone who’s established already.

1 Like

I can’t be skeptical, because there’s currently nothing to be skeptical about. Just saying.

4 Likes

The police don’t take you into custody for “nothing”. I once punched a man in a bar, drawing blood. I wasn’t taken into custody, despite this and despite him and his friends claiming it was not self defense.

It takes more than someone claiming you did a crime, even with ambiguity, to go to jail for the night.

(Then again, I was calm, and while I told the officer that I had nothing to say without a lawyer present, I offered my ID and cell phone number and made it clear that if I was charged with something, I’d have no issue stopping by the station the next day… just not to talk.)

Frankly I think it goes against the spirit of the community guidelines to publicly speculate that a white man must be innocent of hitting his partner absent any evidence. A woman told the police she was assaulted and she had marks on her. The fact your discount these things is extremely puzzling.

Yes they do. Though I have no idea if that is the case this time. Usually it doesn’t happen with well connected rich people.

8 Likes