Lawyer son loses trademark fight with lawyer dad, can't use own name for firm

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/lawyer-son-loses-trademark-fig.html

6 Likes

Do you want a dose of inheritance powder? Because this is how you get a dose of inheritance powder.

Right in your “World’s Greatest Dad” coffee mug; pops.

10 Likes

I’m getting a King Lear meets Hard Times energy.

10 Likes

He chose to give the son his name, fuck him!

26 Likes

Giving your son the same name as you and then suing him when he uses it?

Could he sink any lower?

41 Likes

This was basically one of the plots of Better Call Saul, with Jimmy wanting to use the McGill name.

29 Likes

apple/tree/dad must be so proud/I want your lunch/legacy

1 Like

He should change his name to George Shitheadson

13 Likes

He could go the generic branding route.

AKA “late-stage capitalism” (or “Christ, what an arsehole” – same diff)

8 Likes

He should change the name of his practice to “Everything but the Kitchen, PA”

6 Likes

More seriously he could change his name to something recognizable but also memorable. Like Sink Georgeson.

1 Like

Just because I have to be that guy:

A: This is a preliminary injunction (i.e. temporary until the case is decided at trial).

The required standard is essentially just that there is a real chance that the complained of behaviour could cause significant harm and that money wouldn’t adequately compensate the harmed party (details may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction).

B: The judge quite rightly did not say the son can’t practice under his own name. He did say that he has to do more to make it clear that he is not his father.

So calling his law firm George Sink II Law firm, when his dad’s is George Sink P. A. Injury Lawyers is not ok but there might well be numerous other names he could practice under.

George Sink Jr. springs to mind.

13 Likes

Better Think Sink.

21 Likes

Jnr.

Or: The “You bet I’ll get more money for you than my washed-up has-been old man” law practice of George Sink Jnr."

Or maybe “Better Call the Better Sink”? (nah, too ambiguous).

3 Likes

The holidays will be interesting around the Sink residence.

12 Likes

Q: What will they be serving at the Sink residence this Thanksgiving?

A: Papers.

33 Likes

The little wrinkle I like is that according an earlier news article about the dispute, father and son entered into an agreement that any dispute about them working with each other would go to arbitration and any damages would be capped at $500 (aw, isn’t that nice).

There is apparently an arbitration hearing in December but the son’s already forked over $500 to his old man.

Dad is apparently trying to argue that the arbitration agreement is invalid and he shouldn’t be bound by it because… he signed it without reading it.

Possibly not the lawyer you want to choose if you have an accident in North Charleston.

21 Likes

He better ditch his last name being it’s a sinking ship. I wouldn’t sink too much effort into it since it looks like his dad threw everything at him including the kitchen sink.

3 Likes

Simple solution: Son changes name to Saul Goodman.

10 Likes

I’m going to go way out on a limb here and hazard a guess that there may be no good guy to root for in this fight.

16 Likes