Leaked Dune trailer

no toto? no thanks.

2 Likes

Dude, you’re missing a golden opportunity for the full fan experience:
It’s one of the better cosplays that adapts well to a pandemic.
ETA: or go as a Navigator, and have someone wheel in your sealed tank.

17 Likes

Go with the 190 minute Smithee version, far superior. It’s just great.

That guy is just a damn delight. He self-describes as looking like a shaved gorilla, and he’s just genuinely smart and perceptive about stuff.

5 Likes

Lynch took a handful of liberties with his adaptation but it was still much more faithful to the source material than the vast majority of sci-fi movies.

I think the biggest takeaway from the Lynch version was “this isn’t a story that translates especially well to screen.”

4 Likes

I don’t care what anyone says, I liked Lynch’s version. It’s a mess, for sure, but a beautiful, glorious mess.

18 Likes

I’ve not read the book, so maybe that’s why the David Lynch version of “Dune” doesn’t offend me too much. I actually enjoy it as a big budget Warhammer 40,000 film; as it is an influential source for the aesthetic of the grim darkness of the future in which there is only WAR!!!

3 Likes

My fear: The movie is fantastic, yet a financial disappointment. Warner bails on part II (this film is only half of the first novel.)

4 Likes

Last I heard, Dune is being split into two two-hour movies. The first half of the book doesn’t have much in the way of large-scale action set-pieces, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they beef up the Harkonnen’s sneak attack on the Atraides to show a larger scale conflict.

Villeneuve has a lot of moviemaking capital in my opinion, and I trust him more than most to not turn a good story into a stupid spectacle.

2 Likes

10 legions of Sardaukar descending from the skies isn’t large scale enough?

5 Likes

Neither the Lynch version or the TV one showed the sword fight where Duncan Idaho kills 19 Sardukar before dying himself. This was an interesting fight at shields were used, so Idaho had to stab and parry slow so as too penetrate the shileds. … his blades a flick-flicking, blood dripping from them,"

4 Likes

Were the shields made of non-newtonian fluid?

3 Likes

It’s kind of a cool concept in the books that serve as a metaphor for advanced military technology in general. Personal shields that make projectile weapons useless, but are penetrable by slow, deliberate, and subtle enough force. Also to bring the metaphor home, they are rendered useless in the desert. A bit on the nose, but there it is.

Also they look like a Dire Straits video.

8 Likes

My main hope with casting of Momoa for Duncan is that we will finally see this

1 Like

The weirding module training scene would be a great dance number.

5 Likes

OK, but be prepared, I hear that they are charging $10,000 for a bottle of water.

10 Likes

yeah, but aim a lasgun at them…

2 Likes

and of course it serves as a foil of sorts to explicate the modes of apparent medieval social conflict dramas, the linchpins of Herbert’s descriptions of the post-Butlerian-Jihad yet-also technologically-advanced-society (one which has banned any information processing capabilities - including automated targeting that could otherwise augment projectile systems).

1 Like

And you have MAD. Herbert was working in layers, yo.

2 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.