Leatherman's new wearable multi-tool

True. Try to tighten a counter-nut with just one.

I wonder how many of these regulations you could skirt as an amputee with a creative prosthesis.

2 Likes

I remember going on holiday and being the young wino I was I kept a ā€œwaiterā€™s friendā€ corkscrew in a discreet pocket in my bag. After my bag went through the scanner the security guy looked panicked like I was planning on smuggling a weapon onto the plane in order to be devious with it. He asked me to open up my bag (because for some reason he wasnā€™t allowed to, he could just instruct me) and I found the item, went ā€œaww shitā€ and had to hand it over. They were gonna let me pass but then I stopped and went ā€œdoh, Iā€™ve actually got another one in hereā€ and gave it to them. I could have got the second one onto the plane but I thought that maybe theyā€™d have screw top wine, plus at the other end the customs officials might be surlier and more heavily armed. They offered to let me keep the items in a locker so I could pick them up when I got back but at Ā£8 an item per day seemed excessive for two very useful and sentimental cheap tools. I have since learned to not to take waiterā€™s friends on holiday.

TLDR donā€™t unwittingly bring knives onto planes, they wonā€™t let you keep them unless you pay Ā£8 a day storage.

This multitool bracelet looks kinda useful and uncomfortable, perfect for rugged men who donā€™t need no sissy comfort. Iā€™m kinda glad that itā€™s usefulness is being dispelled in the comments because itā€™s the sort of gadget Iā€™d buy for my buddy but our friendship isnā€™t really at the stage where Iā€™d buy him jewellery.

The awesome wrist callous that you will develop will help you out in any shackling situations that might arise during the apocalypse.

2 Likes

I have one of those and itā€™s been through the TSA with no hassle a dozen times. And itā€™s inexpensive so that losing it to the Take Stuff Away isnā€™t a big deal.

$ 6.21 http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Tech-ST66676-Utili-Key-Multi-Function/dp/B0001EFSTI/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I have had no problem going to Disneyland with my ancient Leatherman Mini-Tool in my pocket. Unfortunately, they no longer make them. Perhaps Mr. Leatherman CEO should bring back their one truly pocket-sized product that works, and keep one in his pocket, instead of trying to design a wristwatch multi-tool.

:-0

I love mine - now Iā€™ll have to use one of those enormous truckerā€™s wallet chains to make sure I donā€™t lose it. :-/

If you can conceal it in a pocket then you can get it into Disneyland. Itā€™s not anywhere near as invasive as airport security (yet), no metal detectors or shoe removal required. Just a ā€œare there any threatening-looking objects clearly visible on your person or obvious from a cursory glance inside your purse or backpack?ā€ sort of deal.

If I was planning on committing some knife-based crime at Disneyland Iā€™d probably just wear a diving knife strapped to my calf under my pants.

The odds are really low you would need it but most likely use would be fixing somthing that gets loose on your kidā€™s stroller.

I like to have a multi tool and a sewing kit whenever possible but the pliers are the most used bit for me so this thing would not help with that.

1 Like

Could the stroller get mildly reengineered so it can be repaired in the field without tools? E.g. using some sort of wingnuts on the tightening-needing parts, or eliminating the need to tighten?

Not too familiar with that tech, though. But it is likely to be a bog-standard mechanical engineering.

Another possibility is to think up some way to assemble the bracelet parts to something similar to pliers, or, to lock them into position in some way. Wouldnā€™t likely make something looking like pliers, but it may be possible to come up with something with similar function. But that would require quite more thinkingā€¦

Also great for kids who want to have a big fat Hellboy hand.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.