Leatherman's new wearable multi-tool

Listen again. The theme song clearly states that he “Kilt him a bar when he was only three.”

1 Like

Looks well machined, so likely just as comfortable as any watch with a steel bracelet.

That’s just local dialect.

Like the famous company that made knives for the Marines in WWII - Ka-bar. They took that name from a letter:
"after receiving a testimonial letter from a fur trapper, who used the knife to kill a wounded bear that attacked him after his rifle jammed.[6] According to company records, the letter was only partially legible, with “ka bar” readable as fragments of the phrase “kill a bear”.

That would seem to put a lot of stress on the links. Also, flexible handle, not very useful… I think I’ll stick to my Juice.

You could certainly gut a full-grown Pluto with this knife!

1 Like

But you’d have to admit it would take an even more badass (if highly disturbed) three-year-old to either

A) Massacre an entire bar, or
B) Get a bear to don Scottish clothing

1 Like

If they need a Beta tester, look no farther. I volunteer!

I dunno. I can’t decide whether it’s sexy or just hot.

Just like a Gerber or a Leatherman - It is never the right tool, but it is the right now tool.

Cute (in a punk rock kinda way) but I have a hard enough time wearing my Fitbit, much less anything with that much weight.

I have to say I am totally tempted by it - on the other hand I know I would never wear it. Some sort of strange psychological test.

On the other hand that belt linked from a previous post I would wear and use. In fact a week ago I would have ordered one on the spot (was searching for a new belt but i found one already).

1 Like

I thought he was killed in a bar…

> ...and I am pretty sure it will still be liable to be confiscated at security because obviously only criminals need screwdrivers.

You can shiv somebody with a screwdriver. Stabbing somebody with this thing would be like trying to kill somebody with a bullet. Not a gun; just a bullet.

You could slap them across the face with it, I guess, but that sounds like the most comical terrorist attack ever.

Then again, it’s not like the TSA has ever let reason get in their way before.

The odd thing is that I didn’t even think of attacking someone with this tool; rather, I imagine the perceived danger is that people might open stuff that they shouldn’t.

Which belt is this? A cursory search for belts has revealed to me that BoingBoing cares far more about ways to hold up pants than I had previously thought.

The links look strong enough to handle a lot of torsion, so my guess is the strap itself is your handle, and the bit is just exposed by folding the bracelet.

1 Like
2 Likes

or
C) Be an extremely precocious law student.

Carrying a multitool everywhere by default liberates you from the hassle of deciding if you should carry it or not, and eliminates not having it at the odd and unpredicted moments when you need it.

On that note, these incidents led me to thinking about concealable tools, with appearance of common objects and low xray signature. For example, boron nitride ceramics (for the load-bearing screwdriver tips) is quite laser-transparent, and beryllium metal is even more (if only it was not so nauseatingly expensive, I can handle the toxicity but not the cost). Carbon fiber filled resins can handle the lower specific load structural functions.

Edit: For low xray signature you want as few nucleons in the line of the beam as you can get. Which means loosely packed lattices of light atoms, and hollow fillers (e.g. hollow plastic microballs). And so on, along those lines. A physical density is a good proxy for xray absorption.

2 Likes

I carry both the gerber dime and leatherman squirt wherever I go. I have found that having one multitool creates opportunities to fix things, and a second one makes fixing things easier.

2 Likes