Legendary comedian Carl Reiner, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/legendary-comedian-carl-reiner.html

9 Likes

98 is a great run but I still have a sad. He was a great guy.

ETA If you are unaware of Gilbert Gottfirued’s Amazing Colossal Podcast the Carl Reiner episode/interview is among the best.
A link to which you can find here.

22 Likes

Reiner’s outsized talent and brilliance were only matched by his generosity toward his colleagues and his willingness, if not insistence, that they outshine him. I’m glad he had such a long and high-quality life, but this is still a major loss and yet another reason 2020 should go down as one of the worst years ever.

Goodbye, Alan Brady. If I had a flagpole I’d be flying your toupee at half mast today.

27 Likes

Somebody needs to check in on Mel Brooks and Dick Van Dyke

29 Likes
15 Likes

Comic genius, mensch, always on his game. Everything he did was enjoyable, but those movies he did with Steve Martin are some of the best funny movies ever. I’ve been really appreciative that he has been visible and engaged right up until the end. It didn’t ever seem like he was craving the spotlight, but that he just had to be in there, because it was so much fun.

As irrational as it is, I feel personally cheated and aggrieved to be deprived of his presence on this earth, while so many bloated horrors still blight it.

15 Likes

RIP.

15 Likes

Fare thee well, Alan Brady!

12 Likes

This man and Mel Brooks together form the backbone of so much of the comedy I enjoy, both through their direct and indirect involvement. They’re the DaVinci and Michelangelo and maybe a couple other ninja turtles of everything I find humorous. 98 years more wouldn’t have been enough.

15 Likes

The old ones are the best ones.

5 Likes

Him and Mel Brooks, two of the all-time greats. How long were they friends? 70 years? I would have liked to think both of them would be around another 9 or so decades but I guess that is wishful thinking.

12 Likes

BTW, Max Brooks has an awesome new book out. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

1,902 years too soon.

15 Likes

My earliest memories of him are as “Whittaker Walt” in “The Russians Are Coming”, starring opposite a very young Alan Arkin. I remember watching this with my family when I was about 8 years old.

9 Likes

Have listened to that ep twice! Great stuff.

4 Likes

RIP. Not enough crying emojis in the world to cover this.

4 Likes

i know everyone in hollywood at the time was in this movie, but carl reiner playing the air traffic controller in “it’s a mad mad mad mad world” is one of my favorite scenes.

3 Likes

I have The Jerk available right now. I will watch it in his honor

Plus it is still one of the funniest movies ever. (I still can’t believe my dad took me to see it in the theaters when I was 7)

4 Likes

I heard today that Reiner said every Sunday morning he’d sit down and read the obituaries. If his name wasn’t there he’d have breakfast.

6 Likes

Many years ago in an interview, Reiner revealed that many instances of “breaking character” (that is, actors seemingly overcome by laughter) on live-audience sitcoms and live shows, were actually pre-planned to help things along. He demonstrated how, if you could not laugh on cue, you should simply smile, turn away from the camera and audience, bow your head down, then quickly move your shoulders up and down. He was still very much involved in the business, so that was quite a reveal.

4 Likes