Watch this Nebraska broadcaster's hilariously awkward and direct 1980s celebrity interviews

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/watch-this-nebraska-broadcasters-hilariously-awkward-and-direct-1980s-celebrity-interviews.html

3 Likes

Well, she’d be fun to have a few drinks with.

10 Likes

She’d be great at dinner parties.

7 Likes

I wonder if the character of Joan Callamezzo on Parks & Rec is modeled off her (but with more substance abuse).

6 Likes

3 Likes

That was way funnier than I expected it to be. I was struck by how close together they sit, too. Seemed odd.

I really appreciate this recent uptick in traditional Wonderful Things being posted lately. With the election behind us, it’s nice to see some old BoingBoing back.

19 Likes

Thanks for that cry laugh!

3 Likes

I can’t believe how much I laughed at that. (Thanks I needed that.)

“So you starred with Richard Burton . . . and now he’s dead.”

Holy shit. Now I’m laughing again. God help me.

4 Likes

Surely this is the basis of Jiminy Glick

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that post-COVID I find myself suddenly thinking that on every TV show I watch.

2 Likes

None of it was inappropriate, and all of it was fun. She reminds me of some the British talk show hosts and their acerbic stylings, ala Clive Anderson.
Why pull punches, if you can throw a few?
I did a quick search and discovered that she clearly was ahead of her time as a pioneering woman broadcaster in the middle of Nebraska.
She hosted everything from kiddie cartoon shows as Kalamity Kate, a kid talk show similar to Art Linkletter was doing for the network, and so much more.
She’s not just acting tough in those interviews, the woman is tough!

6 Likes

Short did a character on SCTV named Brock Linehan, which developed into the Glick character. Based on Brian Linehan, seen here interviewing Martin Short. (they were friends, I believe )

3 Likes

Far less awkward than Farley interviewing McCartney :wink:

1 Like

I hope Elliot Gould recovered from that traumatic experience.

3 Likes

Ditto, but even by pre-COVID standards they are sitting weirdly close together. I found that super distracting. Their legs are close enough to interlock while talking. Is this a Midwest thing?

1 Like

Between two palms?

1 Like

Small studio and/or no budget for a good wide-angle lens.

3 Likes

I was thinking SCTV too!

3 Likes

GAAAAHHH It’s been made private. I watched the first few bits, LOVED IT and had a window open to watch the rest later, now I have a sad. So much joy taken away.

1 Like

Now it’s here. Watch the entire 2m14s this time!

2 Likes