Leonard Nimoy, 1931-2015

Sniff :`(

1 Like

Most likely yes. Outside of the movies, the bad guys tend to live longer and prosper more.

5 Likes

I am so sad. Iā€™m crying and crying. I havenā€™t felt so affected by a death since Steve Jobs left. I feel much more emotional than I did when my father passed away two years ago, and I think that has to do with knowing that I am part of a network of grieving millions. I donā€™t suppose there is any phenomenon quite like it. (I think again of the recent John Wilcock comics on this site, depicting people breaking down on the street at the news about Kennedy.)

I never met Nimoy, of course, and I know that such thoughts are related to harmful notions of celebrity, but he inescapably felt like a distant but beloved uncle to me somehow. (Maybe bolstered by a shared Boston connection, I donā€™t know.) There was something special about this one, and I delighted in all the things he did through his post-Trek career, including (but not at all limited to) his reprisals of the Spock role from time to time. What an amazing man. I am so sad.

And has any modern person before him left an unplanned-final internet post so sublime?

7 Likes

(A sublime recontextualization via Jake Fogelnest on Twitter.)

6 Likes

Always a class act. I will miss him.

6 Likes

there are no words. whereā€™s that LLAP emoji when you really need it?

3 Likes

*Shakes head.*

\\ //>

3 Likes

Paris is dead? Say it ainā€™t so.

2 Likes

ā€œI have been - and always shall be - your friendā€

6 Likes

Itā€™s U+1F596 RAISED HAND WITH PART BETWEEN MIDDLE AND RING FINGERS

6 Likes

W. Kamau Bellā€™s comment:

Leonard Nimoy died an 83 y/o cultural icon with 3 children & 6 grand children & 1 great grandchild. Clearly he took his own advice.

Also, this exists ā€“ which is a wonderful thing:

4 Likes

Change the guard:

5 Likes

11 Likes

I was raised from an early age on Star Trek - my family was a bunch of die-hard Trek folks. My ex-husband fed me the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.

Still, this is how I want to remember Mr. Nimoy, in all his gloriousness.

10 Likes

Saw him read Avram Davidsonā€™s The Golem at City Center fifteen years ago. There was a pole in the way, but we could hear that voice just fine. LLAP.

2 Likes

He nailed it. He nailed Spock. I donā€™t believe anyone else could have. Not like that.

In the late 70s, fresh on arrival in the USA, I was drawn into ST like a madman(child). Spock was the gateway drug, the differing factor, that made me believe in the whole story.

I watched 'em all again a year ago. His portrayal did not dim.

Bless him.

2 Likes

Sentimentality is illogical. :cry:

7 Likes

I was OK until I read that last tweet.

1 Like

Worked on the crew during the filming here in San Francisco 1986 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. He had a really great laugh. RiP.

5 Likes

Charmingā€¦