🍰 Let Us Eat CAKE 🍰

Yes, most people here in Hawaii like, or at least don’t actively dislike, Spam. Local grocery stores stock and sell quite a bit of it. Even as a transplant, I find myself eating and enjoying dishes made with it reasonable often.

3 Likes

Ah, that explains it perfectly.

Duly noted should I ever visit; I’m not a big fan of ham to begin with, and canning the stuff don’t make it no better, IMO.

1 Like

They SPice the hAM first, before canning, which makes it mo bettah. (Seriously, it is nearly a perfect substitute for char siu in recipes calling for the latter.)

2 Likes

Do I even want to know?

7 Likes

Your aloha spirit is shining through, brah! :wink:

4 Likes

If you’ve ever eaten at a non-Kosher Chinese restaurant you’ve already experienced it.

1 Like

The spices are sugar and salt, which is not surprising with it originating in Michigan. That said, I’m totally down with spam musabi.

2 Likes

I’m picky about my Asian food, and my pork intake is pretty much limited to bacon on a rare occasion.

How about bánh mi?

We have lots more varieties than the basic Spam available here.

Char siu is used very much like bacon to season up foods like eggrolls and fried rice, so it is hard to avoid, at least in good/authentic Cantonese restaurants.

3 Likes

There are more at this point. I was talking about the original.

1 Like

I’m not sure what was in the original; probably a fair amount of rat as well.

Minnesota. The SPAM museum in Austin just reopened; we went in 2005, it was well worth the detour.

[quote=“tropo, post:132, topic:79771, full:true”]
How about bánh mi?[/quote]
You’re asking for us to bánh yu? Channeling Cowicide?

I think it is hard to avoid char siu (or its regional variants) when eating authentic Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Vietnamese cuisine. Surprisingly, it is increasingly hard to avoid SPAM in these cuisines, as it is considered a status meat in many countries, including Japan and Korea.

1 Like

Yep. I knew that at one point. I’m not firing on all cylinders today.

3 Likes

Thread needs more cake

9 Likes

6 Likes

10 Likes

7 Likes

8 Likes

12 Likes