The bizarre story of Trump’s plagiarized inauguration cake

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/23/the-bizarre-story-of-trumps.html

8 Likes

I find it so bizarre they did not want their own unique design for this special event.

However, as far as the cake being a prop cake, that’s done a lot at weddings and special events. They have a layer to slice ceremonially, then there is a big sheet cake in the back that they slice up and serve. For a lot of reasons it works better for catering.

27 Likes

I have no problem with a prop cake - I love the Sausage-making details like that.

It’s the copying that is irritating on some level. Is there an original thought in this group?

32 Likes

The copying is SAD.

35 Likes

Plagiarized. Sad!

37 Likes

Are artists normally happy to produce replicas of other artists’ work on commission?

Seems odd.

Why didn’t Buttercream Bakeshop tell Trump’s committee to go ask Goldman to make one for them?

15 Likes

Judging from the seals on the cake, this was from an armed services-themed inauguration event. It’s possible that exactly the same organization is hosting this ball as one from 4 years ago.

6 Likes

I seriously wonder if there was some collusion behind the scenes with the two bakers so that Goldman agreed to out the Trump team and Buttercream agreed to donate the funds to HRC. It’s like, sure…we’ll take your money and bake your fake cake. And then we are going to make you look like the total assholes that you are for making us do this.

30 Likes

You can only eat so much gold leaf before it starts to cause digestive issues.

26 Likes

And gold Sharpie ink is probably even worse…

15 Likes

Of course, they are all members of the anti-trump baker’s cabal! This explains everything!

14 Likes

[quote=“daneel, post:6, topic:93433, full:true”]
Are artists normally happy to produce replicas of other artists’ work on commission?[/quote]I don’t know that there’s THAT much artistic integrity in designing cakes, especially when they don’t anticipate having a ton of press anyways.

[quote=“daneel, post:6, topic:93433, full:true”]Why didn’t Buttercream Bakeshop tell Trump’s committee to go ask Goldman to make one for them?[/quote]Because they like getting paid?

3 Likes

So they plagiarized Game of Thrones too?

18 Likes

87 Likes

You cant have Obama’s cake and eat it unless you like Styrofoam!

6 Likes

Fake cake news!

7 Likes

I must confess my bafflement why cutting a cake with a sword is even a thing.

13 Likes

A Military thing.

2 Likes

“The photos of the cakes are taken from two different locations. Also the cake has a white tarp on it, which was never done before, and that emphasizes the cake’s similarities.”

47 Likes

Just be glad he didn’t use his own “sword.” Because you know he was tempted.

13 Likes