Publix censors graduation cake to remove the cum from "Summa Cum Laude"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/22/publix-censors-graduation-cake.html

9 Likes

What better day to explain “cum” to great grandma?

Well, if she had kids, I am pretty sure she’s familiar with the concept.

35 Likes

Walmart in Cody, WY could not spell “Anniversary” on a cake.

Cake decorators only have like 5 words + “Happy” they need to use!

Congratulations
Birthday
Anniversary
Graduation
Wedding

I can get it, tho I’m shocked when they blow “Bar Mitzvah” or “Quinceañera”

4 Likes

I was directing a play in which one of the performers refused to say “skeet shooting” because she wasn’t aware of its original non-sexual meaning. Even after I explained it, it still took some time to convince her to say the words.

18 Likes

Reminds me of the son who ordered a cake to his mothers birthday. The usual baker was on vacation so he picked one a random in the phone book. His mother was 69 and the decoration was not what they had expected.

3 Likes

No, you marginally literate low level worker who probably isn’t allowed by work rules to make such “executive decisions”, it’s Latin.

12 Likes

The irony is that “Publix” is one letter away from “pubix,” which is how I refer to it. For that matter it’s also one letter away from “pubelix.”

10 Likes

Also not far from Pub Licks. Which are always fun…

3 Likes

It’s pretty easy to see what happened. The online ordering system wouldn’t let them write cum in the decoration box so they tried to use the special request section to get around it.

This was a bad idea.

It might be inconvenient but when they ran into the restriction they should have gone into the store and ordered in person or at least ordered over the phone. That way they could have spoken to a manager who could authorize the request. For all we know the decorator only got the “Suma — Laude” text.

11 Likes

How do you say “oh for fuck’s sake” in Latin?

20 Likes

So mom was 22 years old in 1970. Sure, she has no idea what “cum” means, because everyone over 65 is a Victorian. /s

15 Likes

O tempora o mores

16 Likes

Isn’t that Japanese for “deep fried eel”?

27 Likes

Can you believe this place exists in the bible belt!?

Burlington, NC to be exact. ( It’s no where near as fun as it sounds… )

10 Likes

orfay ucsfay akesay

13 Likes

Skeet shooting has a sexual meaning? I’m now old, apparently.

45 Likes

I just googled it. DON’T!

15 Likes

At the time, I was vaguely aware of the sexual meaning, but I didn’t immediately catch on when she complained. Then, after a moment, I remembered, “Oh yeah, that.” (I’ll leave it up to google to explain further.)

5 Likes

Listen, we speak English 'round these parts. If you all wanna speak Latin, you can just go back to yer god damned Roman Empire.

8 Likes

orfay ucsfay akesay

Yeah, I agree. I was ok when they let that 4.0 creep up a little. I understand. AP classes are harder. They gave them a “bonus” that technically got them over 100%.

A 4.79? That means that on a scale of 1-100, he would have a 119.75%. That is absurd.
Fuck off with that shit. We will let you push it to 110%, no higher!!!

7 Likes