The bizarre story of Trump’s plagiarized inauguration cake

I dunno. Three inches of substance, the rest all filler sounds like a pretty apt metaphor, too.

38 Likes

Seems like an outdated tradition to me. Shouldn’t they just SHOOT the cake nowadays?

34 Likes

I would have accepted because swords are cool. I just hope they cut the champagne before they cut the cake.

As skeptical as I am of bread cake and circuses, I can’t object to sabering the cake.

11 Likes

I’m not a fan of Duff Goldman but he handled the situation like a champ. I’d like to hear from the person who planned the Armed Services Ball to find out why they made this cake decision.

2 Likes

Depending on the contract with the maker of the original cake, the organization hosting this event, (which I believe is the same for both inaugurations) may be considered the “author” under the “works made for hire” section of the copyright law. But it IS cheesy to hire somebody else to make a copy of another’s work, notwithstanding the possible legality of doing so.

2 Likes

But WE HAVE SWORDS. Any position that allows you to carry a sword is better than a position where you don’t get one. I even got to wear a sword in college. It was one of the best things about Senior year.

6 Likes

Okay, I’ve got that…

But neither tRump nor Pence have ever served in the military.

In fact, tRump went to great lengths to avoid military service…

I guess I’m not supposed to notice these things :grey_question:

31 Likes

No, those deferments are important. But this is an armed forces cake. I have to assume that it was an armed forces function. And he is part of the armed forces now.

2 Likes

Trump? o_0

While the President is Constitutionally the CINC, he is not a member of the military.
Source:
Is it Proper for a President to Render a Military Hand Salute? | TexasGOPVote

Have the rules changed since Obama left office on Friday?

16 Likes

The cake is a lie

23 Likes

Trump’s cake was the most original cake ever. Period.

16 Likes

Obama’s cake was not styrofoam. Goldman described each of the flavors in the tiers. It’s not reused.

32 Likes

15 Likes

I think it used to be that the cinc was only directly head of the military in time of war, but that changed with the Goldwater-Nichols act of 1986. I could be wrong, I am not a legal scholar.

1 Like

The reporting I read on this story before it made it to BB said that it is not something high-end bakeries are eager to do. They have a brand and a style like any other kind of artist. Inspiration yes, because all the great artists steal, but there is no artistry in making an exact duplicate. That’s factory work.

Notice no complaints about religious liberty to refuse to make the cake for the two most powerful homofoes in the country either. They made the cake anyway.

11 Likes

Was Obama’s cake also styrofoam?

edit: Because caterers probably do styrofoam cakes all the time for logistics. It makes a ton of sense.

2 Likes

It’s a cake, not mashed potatoes.

10 Likes

I’d have expected Trump to go with something classy, tasteful, golden and uuuuge.

18 Likes

I’m glad these two comments follow each other.

23 Likes

commander in chef?

5 Likes