The bizarre story of Trump’s plagiarized inauguration cake

The main reason why I’m jealous of my colleague who got her PhD in Finland.

(Academic dress for a Finnish PhD includes a sword).

13 Likes

It’s Obama’s design. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. (Lack of imagination, trying to be “as good” as Obama. Failing.) For the same event, no less - so presumably they had to feed the same number of people. (Or did fewer show up for this one?)

It was a last-minute request, apparently, so I suspect there wasn’t time for anyone else to do it, nor do it properly (i.e. a whole cake).

It’s Trump in a nutshell - he tries to be as good as Obama but he’s so unprepared and makes such a half-assed effort that it fails, and what he presents is fake.

16 Likes

So far as I’m aware cakes made for catering purposes are not copyrightable/tradmarkable. There’s a whole thing with food. You can’t copyright things like the recipe/dish itself, nor can you copyright its presentation. But you can copyright the wording of a written recipe.

So while this sort of thing is generally considered scumbaggy in the cooking community. Something that Duff has chosen to forgive for the sake of some one else’s small business. There’s no recourse to the law when these things happen.

In professional cooking its considered trashy, unethical, and wrong to place some one else’s dish on your menu without alteration. Taking some one’s precise variation on a recipe and presentation and presenting it as your own. Same deal the baking business/pastry. But since that is so often work by commission for a client with specific demands they’re gonna be fielding far more demands to make that cake I done seen on the TV. So there are plenty of people out there who will copy (or try I’ve seen some sad, sad things) other’s work. It sounds like here the bakers attempted to convince the client to go with something else. But given short notice, unwillingness to budge, and inauguration, they caved.

7 Likes

I also think that for an important event like an inauguration they actually do use a real cake. They might still have a bunch sheet cakes in the back that they actually serve, but I’m pretty sure that for inaugurations they like to have a real thing.

2 Likes

Nicely summarised here too, in humorous comic form:

Somewhere, Obama is singing:
:notes:Duff cake for me, Duff cake for you, I have a Duff, you have one too!:notes:

10 Likes

Yeah, I mean - they apparently used a fully-real cake the last time for the same event, using the same form-factor, so the difference - the inadequacy - becomes that much more obvious.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/x0MDx0/status/822698481705959424

I feel like I’m stuck in a waiting room, and someone’s tuned the TV to some low rent cable channel wholly dedicated to things that one should not care about.

3 Likes

He would have needed a smaller cake, then.

18 Likes

Absolutely not. The Commander in Chief is most definitely and always will be a civilian position. Even Ike was out of the military before he became President.

13 Likes

See also why Mattis needed a special waiver to become SecDef.

9 Likes

Yeah, that is totally Mickey Mouse.

3 Likes

[quote=“TheGreatParis, post:20, topic:93433”]
Just be glad he didn’t use his own “sword.” Because you know he was tempted.
[/quote]Scoring sword vs. slicing sword.
Different strokables swords for different purposes.

2 Likes

A sword would be useful for defending your thesis.

13 Likes

They may have caved, but did anyone add some bodily fluids, like spit?

1 Like

The cake is an alternative fact

4 Likes

Incredibly ugly both times, but at least it might have tasted OK before it was recreated in styrofoam.

Pro tip - use a straight bladed sword to cut cake. (In fact, if you are not on horseback, use a straight bladed sword for nearly everything, the curve might look nice on your hip but you’ll look dorky trying to use it.)

4 Likes

In Trump’s America, normal decent behavior seems suspiscious

5 Likes

Obligatory:

22 Likes

“home made butter cream”

4 Likes

I don’t think that a sculpture becomes uncopyrightable because it’s made of food.* Certainly the the ingreedients and the method of combining them are not copyrightable, Any protection for THAT would have to be with a patent, which would be unlikely, baring some TRULY innovative process.

*or for the most part, NOT food in this case.

1 Like