Sideserf Cake Studio makes shockingly realistic cakes that looks like other things

Originally published at: Sideserf Cake Studio makes shockingly realistic cakes that looks like other things | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Cake”
That spider’s got to be like 90% fondant… I confess that I’m a bit annoyed that the current trend in highly-decorated “cakes” is that they’re more accurately fondant sculptures with a wee bit of cake in the middle. One could have highly-decorated cakes that were actually cake (though it would be a lot more difficult, especially to make them look like other things), or be honest about it being candy (though I suspect not a lot of people are that thrilled about fondant).

Still, it’s a nicely made bit of… confection.

13 Likes

Still awaiting the dramatic twist in which “Natalia Sideserf” is herself revealed to be an incredibly elaborate cake.

12 Likes

You eats too much, you get a stomacake.

4 Likes

She’s way ahead of you.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Yay! I celebrate the triumph of edible soft sculpture in popular arts!

5 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

Is It Cake has the nice feature where in the end, the cakes are at least partially judged on the quality, flavor and creativity of the cake inside the sculpture. I feel like partially addresses @Shuck’s complaint (which I share, a big slab of fondant looks very unappetizing to me, unless I can successfully imagine it as a giant AirHead, YMMV)

5 Likes

Seconded. Fondant is barely edible.

6 Likes

Interviewer: So, Ms. Sideserf—when did you get so interested in making lifelike cakes?

Sideserf: I am cake. I have always been cake.

Interviewer: [chuckles uncomfortably]

Sideserf: [pulls out knife and cuts chunk out of own face, revealing only cake inside]

Interviewer: My… God…

Sideserf: There is no God. Only cake. [thrusts knife into interviewer’s torso]

Interviewer: [looks down in dawning horror as he realizes he has only chocolate layer cake and raspberry filling where his heart should be]

—Directed by David Lynch

13 Likes

They’re mostly “Modelling chocolate” according to her youtube videos.

5 Likes

Chocolate Truffle Cronenberg joins the conversation.

Long live the New Cake!

8 Likes

9 Likes

Ah, that’s better, then - it’s still candy, but edible candy at least.

4 Likes

SCP-■■■■
Rating: delicious Keter

I might use this argument to counter any Flat Earth types I encounter.

“The Earth is not flat. But you are right in one respect – THEY are lying to us. The Earth is round. But it’s cake. All of it. Delicious layer cake. With a centre of chocolate mousse. But THEY don’t want us to know. That’s why the laws about mineral rights are written the way they are.”

1 Like

Cake, obvs.

1 Like

41RrIOu8gSL

1 Like