Let's Dance hit #1 on this day in 1983

Originally published at: Let's Dance hit #1 on this day in 1983 | Boing Boing

2 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

200-11

2 Likes

If you are going to put on your red shoes and dance the blues – and you absolutely should! – then please, for your own sake, listen to the complete, 7:38 version of the song, not the 4:07, “single” / “official video” version.

If for no other reasons than

• the horns – 0:26 will get you there – trumpet: Mac Gollehon, saxophone: Robert Aaron, saxophone: Stan Harrison, baritone saxophone: Steve Elson
  • the complete SRV performance (no, that’s not Mr. Bowie playing at the close of the official video)
  • everything else that got left out – Sammy Figueroa’s percussion (and, yes, that’s Omar Hakim on drums!), the vocals, the extra funk, all of it!

And: check out Nile Rogers’ story of the song’s origin!

Let’s Dance! Let’s Sway! Let’s Dance! Let’s Dance! Let’s Dance! Let’s Dance! Let’s Dance!

7 Likes

Yeah Stevie played lead guitar, or at least contributed solos, on several tracks on this album. It definitely helped transition him from being a little known Texas blues player to more mainstream success. You can really hear the SRV on China Girl.

5 Likes

Assailed by doubts and wracked by fear, tossed in a wrecked mucus foam of steamed loathing.
Snot trails of lust perforate the bowels of my intent.
Put on your red shoes, Major Tom, funk to flunky …

2 Likes

Watch out though for those fleas the size of rats sucking on rats the size of cats.

2 Likes

When this came out, I lived around the corner from the house used at 2:03 in that video.

The house still looks exactly the same, I wonder if the current owners know about this?

(-33.7236887, 151.1654110) 14 Douglas St, St Ives.

6 Likes

Cool! Welcome to the bbs :smiley:

6 Likes

I have always… always been so curious about that…fairlight drum…

I agree.saw his serious moon light tour in 83 in Dallas.Gosh how I wished I really listened to that wonderful music. We were all,high Ana world beach ball went out and we were all slamming it up and around as he played major Tom. He sang to the skull of
Hamelit.
Best concert I barely can remember and was worth it. Miss that dude

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.