Let's Talk to Trump Supporters

While this is not recent, I think both of them qualify as conservatives. o_O

How would Reagan React? (Note: go over there for video link. Worth it.)

1 Like

This one is pretty good but of course these are all just the excuses people have not real reasons people voted.

"If you voted for the president or a republican senator because you believe in fiscal conservatism, you should be furious that your tax dollars are going to build a wall that will have zero impact on the effects of immigration.

If you hate the left because of “Political Correctness,” you need to be asking yourself if you’re okay with the President censoring communications from MULTIPLE government organizations like the National Park Service, the EPA and more.

If you voted because you hated Secretary Clinton’s email server, I expect you to be calling your representatives to ask why Steve Bannon and others continue to use their unsecured personal emails and why your president is using an unsecured android device still.

If you voted because you believed they would be better protection against terrorists, you need to ask yourself why it’s okay that your president just took away $130 million in anti-terror funds from New York with his punishment of Sanctuary Cities.

If you are angry that your insurance is too expensive, you should ask why your senators are repealing ACA without a replacement, an action that will leave 20 million people without insurance at all.

If you believe the Clinton initiative provided unequal treatment to countries that supported their foundation, you should be livid that your president has moved to block visas from Muslim countries like Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, but not places where he has business ties like Egypt, Qatar, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.

This is an opportunity to prove that you voted for the reasons you told me you did. I am taking you seriously, I am taking you literally."

*Sharing this status via copy & paste.

7 Likes

Going to try acting as proxy for how my family would respond, though at least in mom’s case she would be kinder and better worded than me.

This one is met by ‘savings accounts’ and 'Obamacare gave the insurance companies a free pass by saying we NEEDED to have insurance under penalty of fines, which targets people who both do not qualify for ‘obamacare’ and forces them. Pay for the ones that do. Sooner it is gone the better.

When you have employees tweeting about workplace conditions you want to make sure they aren’t telling outright lies or otherwise trying to antagonize for the simple fact they are antagonizing. Normal workplaces have a no social media rule. Why not government?

Cutting out wasteful spending. Just because more money was being spent does not mean it was spent well.

How many Muslim countries are there in the world that didn’t get banned? He is simply going 'this is a dangerous region of the world we need time while our own government is transitioning to sort this mess, if people get hurt in the process? Sad, but better than having to ship highschool students out to die for us.

How do you know it won’t work, has anyone tried? You realize emails and job offers are being sent out left and right, right? That’ll create a lot of jobs. So what if Mexico doesn’t want to pay directly.

I do this to try showing that these arguments are not sure fire anything. They are not a gurentee to get looked at discussed in any meaningful fashion, or considered.

No it is not fair that we need to act as swarm to pool resources to bring better than an A game, but this is the state of the game.

3 Likes

Long read but it, toward the end, makes a good point about why we should try to write something good.

6 Likes

My one problem with this article is the language used. ‘Liberal society’ and other wordings make this a very conservative unfriendly read and they will latch onto the wording as proof they are actively being insulted and that this is more ‘libard dicksteoking.’

‘Tone policing’ gets bandied about constantly, and I feel it’s been used to bash me in the head personally. However fact is you have to be mindful of how you say what you want as well as what, otherwise your own words will be turned into q club to beat you to death with.

My stepdad really should have been an attorney given his ability to find and pick apart minor missteps and frustrate speakers.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the issue is that any kind of educating about sensitivity blows up in your face.

4 Likes

Awwww, those were the good old days. Both of those guys, McCain, and David Stockman of Trickle-Down fame, and Ollie North, wow. Good times, good times.

Well, I don’t pretend to have a deep understanding of EU politics, so we’re matched there. I mean, I read the news, so I first accepted the Trump had a better than average chance of winning during the Brexit fiasco.

The difficulty with upper case C Conservatism and lower case c conservatives is that conservatives are constantly arguing about whether someone is actually a Conservative, a la Monty Python’s People’s Front of Judea. So if a body wants to compile an list of conservative arguments against Trump, who is clearly not a conservative, that’s entirely possible. Whether any Trump supporters are going to listen/read these arguments, and more importantly, change their minds, is another thing entirely.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/03/next-steps-how-to-push-back-against-trump/

1 Like

Yeah, this is really what needs to be addressed, and that is hard because first of all, it takes a lot of education about what real discrimination is vs. this imagined discrimination. There’s a whole web of news organizations feeding the lies. And it’s hard to address it head on. There was a broadcast I heard - This American Life? - where they talked about how gay rights activists changed people ideas about gay marriage, particularly in the South, using door to door canvasing techniques where people went and met one on one with people and addressed their concerns. It’s probably going to take something like that.

5 Likes

That’s really unfortunate, because that study has been debunked and withdrawn. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2015/05/canvassers-study-in-episode-555-has-been-retracted

9 Likes

It’s The Guardian after all, what do you expect? There might be something in there to use in conversation with the folks you reference but otherwise not a source to pass on as is.

1 Like

Oh man I had not heard!

2 Likes

This one is pretty good

This is where I stand. I make no apologies to any or all of my FB friends for this. I know some of you are tired of political postings and rants. But apart from the cutesy posts of recipes, flowers, seashells, balloons, and my daily diary, FB is a vehicle to express my outrage of how far my country has fallen on the humanity scale. To me it is a useful vehicle for my activism. The person who lost the popular vote and now occupies the White house - and the majority of the Republicans in congress - are a threat to me and my way of life, to my children, and to my grandchildren. So I will #RESIST and I will be part of the resistance. You can join in or not. If not then you probably need to consider unfriending me. I won’t play “nice.” Our country’s well-being demands it.
Those who say we should give the #RepublicanAutocracy a chance, need to realize that I will not forget how 45 refused to admit the legitimacy and even the citizenship of President Obama and I will always remember how badly his supporters treated that president for 8 years. Those who tell me that we should “work together” with him because he won the election and he is everyone’s president, need to know that this is not going to happen.
•I will not “work together” to build a wall.
•I will not “work together” to persecute Muslims.
*I will not “work together” to break up families and deport parents.
*I will not “work together” to help Russia destroy America.
*I will not “work together” to make propaganda equal to fact.
•I will not “work together” to shut out refugees from countries where we destabilized their governments, no matter how bad they might have been, so that we could have something more agreeable to our oligarchy.
•I will not “work together” to lower taxes on the 1%.
•I will not “work together” to increase taxes on the middle class and poor.
•I will not “work together” to help him line the pockets of himself and his cronies.
•I will not “work together” to weaken (or demolish) environmental protection.
•I will not “work together” to sell American lands to companies which then despoil those lands.
•I will not “work together” to remove civil rights from anyone.
•I will not “work together” to waste trillions more on our military when we already have the strongest in the world.
•I will not “work together” to alienate countries that have been our allies for as long as I have been alive.
•I will not “work together” to slash funding for education.
•I will not “work together” to take basic assistance from people who are at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder.
•I will not “work together” to allow torture and “black op” prison sites.
•I will not “work together” to “take their oil.”
•I will not “work together” to get rid of common sense regulations on guns.
•I will not “work together” to eliminate the minimum wage.
•I will not “work together” to suppress scientific research, be it on climate change, fracking, or any other issue where a majority of scientists agree that Trump and his supporters are wrong on the facts.
•I will not “work together” to criminalize abortion or restrict health care for women.
•I will not “work together” to increase the number of nations that have nuclear weapons.
•I will not “work together” to put even more “big money” into politics.
•I will not “work together” to violate the Geneva Convention.
•I will not “work together” to give the Ku Klux Klan, the Nazi Party and white supremacists a voice in our government, or to normalize their hatred.
•I will not “work together” to deny health care to people who need it.
•I will not “work together” to increase the profits of the insurance companies.
•I will not “work together” to deny medical coverage to people on the basis of an alleged or actual “pre-existing condition.”
•I will not “work together” to increase voter suppression.
•I will not “work together” to normalize tyranny.
•I will not “work together” with anyone who is, or admires, tyrants and dictators.
•I will not “work together” with 45 or anyone who supports him, because I will not allow one man to feed upon the fears of the populace, blaming minorities for their condition or their inability to thrive.
Instead, I will use my voice and my hands, to reach out to the uninformed, and anyone else who will LISTEN. I will call a lie a lie, a fact a fact, and alternative facts propaganda. If you agree, please copy and re-post and if you can, sign your name beside mine. Also, if I have left anything out, feel free to add it to this list. This is the first step in becoming part of The Resistance.
(list of names here deleted)

20 Likes

Both thoughts are convincing. That’s why I would like to have this categorised. Make it searchable. Break it down to talking points. Reference it.

Think of category search terms like
person="active"+"military personnel"+"experienced"+"Reagan-era"&topic:"immigration"+"Mexico"&aim:"start discussion"+"swingvoters"&source:"reliable"+"mainstream"

Not a good query, but you get the idea. Just FTR, if some categorised data would be available, getting some people with experience in text mining, multivariate stats, sentiment analysis etc. to play with the data (and to add more) would be interesting.

If not possible, because, e.g. nobody would really like to start something as complicated like this, a simple wiki-style references quotation dump would probably be a low-level entry into the concept.

Let people argue if Mattis is a conservative or a Conservative. I for one am not interested in this detail. The fact that he apparently saw Trump’s “obsolete NATO” statement as important enough to distance himself from it is interesting enough, and I can drop that quote any time.

I can decide if quoting Mattis is, e.g., a good disruption to make someone ramble even more and show their distinguishedly non-distinguished colours. Or to question someone mildly who still thinks the administration runs smoothly, and media is “the enemy”. I don’t think it helps to convince anyone seriously believing Trump is the best choice for the US, but at least it might make some people think. Mattis, after all, is on a Trump ticket, and important enough for Trump and congress to make an exception from §113.

1 Like

I’ve got two of them in my circle. Women who wanted Sanders and went with Trump. Both were raised very religiously (one Catholic, one Baptist) but non-practising now, both believe in the Gen X weird dual standard of “women are equal to men, but men know more/are bigger & stronger/deserve 1st place”, both hated Hilary with the kind of hate they normally reserve for the woman who stole their man.
I’ve tried talking with them separately about politics and rationality, but they’re caught in the loop of “but they said so, and he said so, so it’s true”, and feel that the primary sources I cite are just “doing it because they hate Trump.” For the sake of long-term friendship and that we’re all members in a club together, we’ve agreed to Not Talk About Politics.
It seems quite like being caught in an abuse cycle; they won’t give up their belief that he’s just the guy we need to Make America Great Again, just like 50s and 60s TV sitcoms. It will probably take some serious cognitive dissonance to wrench them out.

10 Likes

At this point, this is about all I have to say to them.

6 Likes

Come on. One does not simply put any random text on that image.

16 Likes

I had posted this on a friend’s FB discussion in the context of whether or not it was okay to punch Nazis (it is), and thought it was relevant here:

The thing is, that you have to speak to people in a language they understand.

Someone who voted for Trump because they want him to bring the jobs back, is someone who will listen to reason.

Someone who voted for Trump because they’re afraid of immigrants, is someone who won’t listen to reason, but will respond to emotional manipulation.

Someone who voted for Trump because they think it’s time we take this country back from the negros and commies, is a person who will not understand anything but violence.

Someone who voted for Trump because they respect him as a strong leader, is someone who will listen to reason AFTER you kick their ass to establish dominance.

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight, and don’t bring a gun to a courtroom. Everything in the proper place and time.

11 Likes

I couldn’t find the right Picard meme. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think this is what you at looking for.

10 Likes

That’s… an interesting perspective, I haven’t seen that point made like that before, thank you.
(I’m still considering the actual point itself, mind, but it’s thought provoking, regardless.)

2 Likes