Let's Talk to Trump Supporters

How about murder-suicides?

“The guy Trumped himself and his wife last night.”

4 Likes

I’ve seen that before, or at least an older version that didn’t have the “basket of deplorables” line. It’s a pretty classic frame-flipping technique (i.e. reframing the bigot or reactionary as the actual victim).

11 Likes

I imagined something like this

but with pyrite.

6 Likes

Everyone who used to send me those types of emails…they don’t anymore. I Snoped them until they stopped. That was before the claims got to this level of hateful lying, so I’m quite proud of myself for being prophylactic.

9 Likes

11 Likes

8 Likes

It’s like a compound phrase meaning something like “faint of heart” but with handkerchiefs somehow involved.

For me too, and maybe even for Sanders, but I have to think that Sanders knew what he was getting into. He was certainly prepared for it, appalled certainly, but not surprised.

I wonder if someone is collecting and categorizing arguments against Trump phrased by conservatives.

That said, apparently arguments from conservatives didn’t prevent him getting elected.
Example:

1 Like

I saw this today:

17 Likes

You’re exactly right, Luther, he’s not in the least bit conservative. The core of conservatism is to conserve (as in, conserve the good things about America) and to proceed conservatively (as in, slowly, and after having taken the precaution of careful study and consideration.)

You know, the way Obama did and as Hillary Clinton promised to do.

ETA: obligatory link to a National Review post.

7 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHHAHAHHEHHAHEHEHEHEAHAHAH…

[takes deep breath]

…AHAHAHHHAHHAHHEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAH!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not to mention that he’s flopping about being over 70 and a useless old man, but calls Hillary Clinton (who is younger than him) a sick old woman.

10 Likes

3 Likes

I think I’m homing in on that phrase, having maybe been uttered by his Lordship

I might have to watch the whole season though…

2 Likes

How is that an answer to my question?

Again, is there a categorised collection of quotes and arguments brought fourth by conservatives against Trumps policies, and statements?

If not for using them in discussions with Trumpists, then to remind those who uttered then what they said? I know it works both ways, but still.

I’d call him a liberal crybaby. Stupid arguments deserve stupid responses.

3 Likes

Let’s try and keep this thread on-topic. There are more than enough threads to vent on. @ChickieD asked a valid question in the thread, let’s try and answer it without drifting off to offtopic slights and jabs :slight_smile:

Thanks!

7 Likes

I saw this one floating around.

I like a lot of it except the conclusion. I think maybe it should say something like, let’s work together to make a real revolution in 2018 and 2020. I think we need to start showing people, make a better choice next time.

But I also think that this acts like people are rational, instead of choosing sides then arguing their case.

5 Likes

You mean this question?

So sorry, I misunderstood your meaning. I didn’t get your first sentence was a question. I thought you were humorously pointing out Trump’s success at disappointing practically every prominent conservative during the primaries.

No, I am not aware of a compilation of conservative thinkers’ quotes objecting to Trump. Do you want to work together compiling one? It should be fun.

I am not suited for a task like this: as an European, the US domestic politics are quite alien to me. To give you an idea of my ignorance: I think McCain qualifies as a conservative (and criticised Trump), and some things he said might make good responses to Trumpist statements. I would also guess that most GOP senators count as more conservative than most other senators. But apart from that, and especially considering civic society figures, it would take me quite some time to figure out who the fuck someone uttering criticism (not: insults) is, and what’s their background, inclination, and standing.

But it would be fun to have such a collection, and possibly handy in discussions. (And if only just to end discussions at some point, even, with a quote introduced by “Can you guess who said the following about this?”)

1 Like