LGBTQ+ & Queer Positive News

It started well, but…

(I like that movie )

8 Likes

Bricks, to rep Stonewall; nice.

13 Likes
7 Likes

That reminds me that way back in 2009 the radio show Studio 360 proposed a redesign of the Pride flag. Listener submissions were judged by Isaac Mizrahi whose choice was…the U.S. flag with just six stars, representing the only states that had marriage equality at the time.

I get what he was going for with his “someday it’ll be all fifty stars” but I would have liked something a little more inclusive, like the one below.

10 Likes

Let a thousand flags bloom!

11 Likes

Pride started out as a riot and then became just a party to celebrate. But with hundreds of anti-LGBTQ bills filed so far this year, the LGBTQ community is asking more from corporations than a pink wave of support for only one month out of the year.

Unilever has taken a unique approach, eschewing Pride parades and costly floats in favor of giving much-needed funds to support efforts in underserved communities. Even better, they do it all year long. They want the community to know that Pride should be 365 days long.

Unilever’s “United We Stand” campaign will focus on anti-bullying, anti-hunger and nutritional support, mental health and wellness services, housing resources, anti-conversion therapy support, decriminalization of HIV, and fighting against anti-trans legislation.

They’re partnering with Forum for Equality in Louisiana, Freedom Oklahoma, South Carolina Black Pride, The Knights and Orchids Society in Alabama, and PFLAG Springfield in Missouri to focus their efforts on underserved communities. The money earned during this campaign will go to strengthen the services offered by these organizations.

Unilever is also partnering with drag queens and LGBTQ leaders including Jaida Essence Hall, Heidi n Closet, and Jan Sport among others to spread the word via social media.

Rana Reeves, the founder of RanaVerse, an agency that helps with corporate campaigns, says it is important to “hold brands accountable during campaigns to ensure that the LGBTQ community is heard and supported. We have an issue if they’re not making systemic change and empowering marginalized voices.”

11 Likes
9 Likes

12 Likes

DistantInferiorBluejay-small

10 Likes
10 Likes

During my first pride - people were making transphobic comments from the stage. Comedians telling jokes too.

9 Likes

So — not much has changed then. :frowning:

8 Likes
4 Likes
13 Likes

Awesome idea and so well executed! Very tidy and polished looking

9 Likes
17 Likes

Just saw these in a YouTube video, nice to see they got funded in 6 minutes.

12 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes