Libraries become new domestic terrorism target in Trump wave of hate crimes

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/09/libraries-become-a-new-terrori.html

7 Likes

26 Likes

Not to be confused with the LibrAryan hoodie.

32 Likes

Why does it feel like we are building up to a repetition of this?

30 Likes

Sounds like a cross between a Libertarian and an Aryan.

4 Likes

A right wing version of these arseholes?

2 Likes

Librarian here. I prefer this t-shirt: http://www.cafepress.com/mf/108118198/_tshirt?productId=2025328289

And money goes to EveryLibrary, a fantastic organization doing amazing work.

Sorry for being such a shill.

31 Likes

Also… “hatred cover to cover” and they put a swastika!

32 Likes

I’m surprised the Trumplings aren’t attacking the very idea of libraries. After all, if illiteracy is good enough for their Dear Leader…
I just saw that the “alt-right” are demanding a boycott of the latest Star Wars movie, apparently because they finally noticed that the space Nazis are the villains.

37 Likes

Librarians, being generally mindful of history, know exactly what to expect in the coming years:

A volunteer project by a group of libraries, End of Term Presidential Harvest 2016, is saving valuable pages on federal government sites at risk of vanishing (Jim Dwyer/New York Times)

There’s a lot of work to be done by all kinds of people who care about knowledge and information to secure critical data before Inauguration Day. Some might have to follow the example Canadian government scientists during the Stephen Harper years. I’ve heard stories of some of them who “misplaced” the climate-change data and studies they were banned from discussing and discouraged from pursuing during the time, only to “stumble across them” in their basements and attics the moment his oil-industry-friendly government was out of power.

28 Likes

Because that, too, was a largely mythical event?

There were several “fires” at Alexandria over the years, the most important probably being JuliusCaesar’s warehouse mishap in 48 BC.

While stories of pagans, Christians, Hypatia, and flames are exciting, the real destroyer was fungus.

Papyrus scrolls rot away on their own in Alexandria. Any scroll not recopied roughly every 100 years would generally get moldy, crumble, and vanish. Which is what probably happened to most of the scrolls gathered by the Ptolemys.

The threats to our libraries are real – but let’s leave the fervid historical analogies to others.

3 Likes

Or a resurgence of these guys:

22 Likes

If you do s/Catholic/Islam and s/Papal/Sharia commands on their platform, you basically end up with the Tea Party and Trump.

[quote]Know Nothing Party Platform of 1856:

1. Repeal of all Naturalization Laws.
  2. None but Americans for office.

3. A pure American Common School system.

4. War to the hilt, on political Romanism.

5. Opposition to the formation of Military Companies, composed of Foreigners.

6. The advocacy of a sound, healthy and safe Nationality.

7. Hostility to all Papal influences, when brought to bear against the Republic.

8. American Constitutions & American sentiments.

9. More stringent & effective Emigration Laws.

10. The amplest protection to Protestant Interests.

11. The doctrines of the revered Washington.

12. The sending back of all foreign paupers.

13. Formation of societies to protect American interests.

14. Eternal enmity to all those who attempt to carry out the principles of a foreign Church or State.

15. Our Country, our whole Country, and nothing but our Country.

16. Finally, American Laws, and American Legislation, and Death to all foreign influences, whether in high places or low. 

[/quote]

32 Likes

State and local government have had that covered for decades. We can’t afford literacy, you see, it gets in the way of the tax breaks.

25 Likes

Now hold on a minute. The New York Times article doesn’t mention libraries or books at all. The only other story here relates to exactly one Evanston Public Library – an act likely perpetrated by exactly one individual, with a pencil, targeting books specifically put on public display.

I mean, yes, hate crimes are bad and targeting libraries is bad and it would be a real sensationalist horror story if libraries across the nation were suddenly under siege by raging mobs of jack-booted Nazis, but it is a bit premature to suggest that is our current reality, isn’t it?

19 Likes

Those who thrive on ignorance can’t well tolerate the freedom of information and thought offered by Libraries. This is yet another treasure we will have to guard against pillaging brownshirts.

6 Likes

It took them this long to realize that?

1 Like

These are not the kind of people who hear from the Mensa folks very often.

2 Likes

OK, but I was trying to not invoke Godwin’s law.

We already have contemporary book burners who try to burn the Koran. What else will be added to their “list of forbidden, unchristian books” now that they feel empowered?

7 Likes

Which means that makes us the Resistance.

I’m down with that, and good luck to those fuckwits in boycotting Rogue One; that flick is already one of the most highly anticipated movies of 2017

25 Likes